Campus Celebrity: Rachel Hickman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is Rachel Hickman. She loves finding new ways to get more involved on campus, which makes her a perfect member of the business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi.

Age: 19

Hometown: Portland, Oregon

Year: Sophomore

What is it like being apart of the business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi?

“Being a part of Alpha Kappa Psi is a lot different than I ever expected it to be. Although it is a professional, business fraternity, a lot of times what is not highlighted is AKPsi’s focus on brotherhood. AKPsi is as much social as it is professional. It’s really fun to learn about ways that we can develop our professional skills and also learn about opportunities that we specifically get from being a part of AKPsi, but the foundation of the fraternity is in the social aspect. You can often find AKPsi’s after chapter all hanging out in suits at No Anchovies, tailgating behind Greek Row, or playing intramurals.”

Why do students benefit from being apart of this fraternity?

“Besides of the brotherhood that I mentioned before, we have several opportunities to hear from guest speakers who usually are incredibly qualified men and women of their particular industry. We also have several opportunities for meet and greets with companies like Microsoft and Goldman Sachs.”

What kind of events/ philanthropies does Alpha Kappa Psi have?

“Alpha Kappa Psi puts on several events throughout the year for its members and other University of Arizona students. The one it is most famous for is Coffee and a Cuddle which usually takes place at the end of the school year, where you can sip on a cup of coffee while getting to pet and cuddle the cutest pups!”

What is your favorite memory of being apart of this fraternity?

“My favorite memory thus far with AKPsi was this huge banquet we held at the end of the semester. Everyone got all dressed up in a “007 Bond” theme and had a wonderful catered dinner at a nice resort, with lots of dancing to follow.”

Why did you decide to join Alpha Kappa Psi?

“I chose to join AKPsi because I thought it was a unique experience to obtain in college. I have met some of the most determined, intelligent, goal-oriented people that have also become great friends. Being around people like this, pushes you to worker harder for the things that you are passionate about.”

Post graduation plans?

“My post-graduation plans would be to work for a large, high-end, retail company in their corporate office somewhere on the West Coast.”