Basketball Has Returned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

TUCSON, Ariz.—Nothing says November like basketball season here at the University of Arizona.

Athletics are a huge part of campus life at the University of Arizona and with football season coming to an end, fans are eager to see what the 2015-2016 basketball team has in store this year.

The team unofficially started their season by playing in front of a sellout crowd in McKale at the annual McDonald’s Red and Blue game The Red and Blue game is when the team scrimmages each other and allows the fans to see this year’s team. The red team beat the blue team 49-41.

With the loss of so many key players from last season, Dustan Ristic, Mark Tollefsen and Ryan Anderson were some of the top players in this game. They played on the red team. Ristic had 14 points and five rebounds and Tollefsen also added to the scoreboard with 13 points and eight rebounds.

Along with the game, the cats also put on a dunk competition for the crowd. Players Justin Smith, Ray Smith, Mark Tollefsen and Chance Comanche participated in the competition. In the end, Tollefsen was able to catch a reverse layup in the air and to dunk the ball between his legs. This remarkable dunk was able to score him 10’s from the judges, which resulted in him winning the overall dunk contest

This past weekend, the Wildcats played against Chico State in the exhibition game, which is a preseason game. The cats took home the victory by defeating Chico 90-54. Arizona was able to start off the game with a 12-0 lead but Chico was starting to get the hang of things and started to put points on the board.

The second half of the game included numerous fast breaks and each team scoring after one another.

It wasn’t until midway through the second half that Arizona was finally able to take hold of the game with an impressive a double-digit lead. Gabe York, Kaleb Tarczewski and Allonzo Trier were some of the players who contributed heavily to this game.

The ZonaZoo section helps our teams win. “It’s Miller Time” is an event that allows students to listen to Sean Miller talk about the upcoming season. During media day and “It’s 

The Wildcats will continue their season by playing Bradley on Monday, Nov. 16 in the McKale Center at 6 p.m. Come out with your friends or family and enjoy the game!