This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Winter Make-Up EssentialsWinter is rapidly approaching, collegiettes! While hot chocolate and snow days are fun, winter isn’t all bells and whistles, especially in Boone. Dropping temperatures and harsh wind can wreak havoc on your delicate skin. Try these winter beauty essentials to get through the winter beauty bumps:

First things first, CHAPTSTICK!

The first thing someone always notices when the weather gets colder is chapped lips. It probably seems like you reapply lipbalm all day. The best way to beat chapped lips in the winter is using a medicated lip treatment. Medicated lip treatment are not just used for cold sores and small cuts, but adds extra moisture to keep your lips hydrated longer. Lay off the lip stick and lip gloss during the winter time and keep apply medicated lip treatment.

Dry Hair

The absence of humidity in the winter months causes your hair to dry out quickly. Washing your hair everyday takes away the natural oils that your hair produces. Throughout the winter months, avoid washing your hair everyday to allow your hair to develop its natural oils. Try using dry-shampoo or baby powder on your roots in between washes so your hair doesn’t look oily. Natural oils will keep your hair healthy and avoid looking continuously dry.

When is doubt, moisturize. 

Moisturizer is essential when the temperature drops. As well as everything else drying out, your skin does too. Try to add an extra coat of moisturizer in the winter months to avoid dry and flakey skin. Also, finding a foundation with moisturizer in it will also be helpful. Try Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer Tinted Moisturizer that includes SPF 20 moisturize for protection.

Winter Glow

Think bronzer can only be used during the summer months to enhance the natural glow you develop? Nope! Do not be scared to use bronzer throughout the winter months to add some color to your face. However, try using a lighter bronzer, but not one that would clash with blush. Bronzer avoids the pale look and can add a natural color, if you use the right shade.

It’s Electric.

When the air gets cold, it becomes dry. Dry air increases static electricity. It seems that everything you touch from October to March has some sort of static shock to it. Avoid the random static shock that is caused by your clothes or hair by rubbing a dryer-sheet on the surface. This quick and easy fix eliminates all the frustrating static while battling the winter air.

Cold temperatures are a continuous battle with your skin in the winter months, but you can look fresh and flawless all winter with a few good beauty tricks in your back pocket. 

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.