burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Shouldn’t Plan a Pinterest Wedding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Since the beginning of the summer season, I have worked as an event server at a beautiful mountain resort that is a popular venue for rehearsal dinners, bridal luncheons, showers, ceremonies, and wedding receptions. As a part of my job, I work with wedding and event coordinators and assist decorators to set up the event to their exact specifications. The first wedding I worked at blew my mind. I never considered just how much work and planning went into the occasion until that day. Since then, I’ve worked at numerous weddings and their related events and have come to some conclusions about the common decorating trends. I can’t say for sure, but I have a strong feeling all of these same ideas that brides are coming up with for decorating their ‘personal and unique’ wedding are coming straight from Pinterest. Here are my top reasons why you shouldn’t plan a ‘Pinterest wedding’.

(Photo Source)

1. Pinterest forces you to compare all aspects of your wedding day to other couples that seemingly have the “perfect” day.  Let me assure you, there is no magic formula for a perfect wedding or reception. Looking at beautiful pictures online is great for inspiration, but it often becomes a way for people to obsess over what they think they’re doing wrong. Save yourself the extra stress and stay away from the site before your wedding day.

2. Mason jars and burlap pieces aren’t original anymore. Best used only in moderation, mason jars and burlap are some of the most common elements of table centerpieces at wedding receptions. They add to the rustic, country-style wedding theme, but if you’re going for originality with your decorations you should choose something that isn’t so overdone.

3. Too many kitschy details distract from the actual celebration. Sometimes it just needs to be said, less really is more, especially when it comes to decorating. The whole point of a wedding is to celebrate the marriage of two people who dedicate themselves to each other. When there are too many decorations it can become obnoxious and distract guests from the beauty of the ceremony itself.

4. Original and unique personal details will stand out more to guests. When a couple is able to highlight their common interests through style and theme, guests will notice and be able to relate more to the environment. If you took all of your ideas from Pinterest, the themes will come across as more generic and less personable.

(Photo Source)

5. The “Instagram Our Wedding” idea is becoming contrived. Is it really necessary that you force out an awkward sounding marriage hashtag for guests to use when uploading photos to social media? People are going to take pictures regardless of whether you tell them to or not, let’s just leave the social media trends out of it.

Brides are faced with countless decisions concerning the planning of their perfect day, and these days it seems every woman is recycling the same Pinterest posts as inspiration. There are an infinite amount of pins online giving ideas about everything from reception décor to wedding party attire. If you want guests to have a memorable experience on your special day, pick and choose carefully what you take from Pinterest!

Alla Hill

App State

Alla Hill is a Junior at Appalachian State University working towards a degreee in Nutrition and Foods with a concentration in Dietetics. She is originally from Greenville, SC but loves being able to call the High Country home for now! Alla's interests include creative writing, hiking, shoe shopping, cooking with friends, collecting bumper stickers, and tumblr blogging.