When In Doubt, Go Workout!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Busy? Overwhelmed in the first week of classes? It is understandable that the gym can be the last thing on your mind, especially during the first week of classes. Let’s be honest, a college gym can be even a little intimidating. However, there are three gyms on campus that are open and ready for you to take full advantage of. Her Campus is here with some tips to stop talking about going to the gym and actually get there.

1.  Start by making an awesome playlist. Find all your favorite songs that you never get tired of hearing of and make a special playlist on your phone. This way, you have something to look forward to (or listen to) while you are working out.

The max number of Pandora Stations you can have is 100. Therefore, go ahead and dedicate about 10 different stations for when you workout. Let’s be honest, listening to hardcore music that you wouldn’t want to listen to in front of your parents is the kind that stimulates a good workout. Some Pandora stations to keep in mind are “Gas Pedal Station,” “Power Champion Workout Station,” “Rap Strengthen Music,” and “Dance Cardio.”

2.  Do not think that going to the gym involves intense 30-minute workouts that you dread doing so you don’t even start. Instead, find quick 5-10 minutes workouts on Pinterest. It can be more motivating to accomplish three or four 5-10 minute workouts, working out different parts of your body, than a dragged out 30-minute arm workout. In the end you will get the same results. Sometimes these short Pinterest workouts could even be done in the space that you have in your dorm room.

3. Every go-to workout outfit is a t-shirt and a pair of track shorts. Break the norm this year and grab some workout gear that makes you excited to wear it. Next time you are at Old Navy or T.J. Maxx stop by the workout clothing and see if anything catches your eye. Instead of wearing the same Nike track shorts that everyone else is wearing at the gym, find some printed leggings that you cannot wait to wear. The first step to going to the gym is putting your actual gym clothes on. Find cute workout gear and the first step will become more exciting!

4.  Do you ever feel like you want a reward after working out? Instead of the reward being the milkshake you want from Cookout, make the reward being the support from your friends. After a workout, take a picture of how far you ran on the machine or even a post-workout selfie and share it on Instgram or Twitter. This way your friends know you have the motivation to go to the gym and they might want to join too! The feedback by your friends will be more rewarding then any Cookout milkshake could give you.

5.  Ever heard of the saying, “once it is in writing, it is official?” Write down a time to go to the gym in your agenda in order to make it official. If you want to, write down a specific time so you know you have to go at that time. This way you can feel good when you cross it off the to-do list and move on to something else.

It can be easy to come up with numerous excuses at the beginning of the school year to avoid going to the gym.  Avoid the rut and use these tips to get excited about working out! Who said you need a hot body just for the summer anyhow? 

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.