What No One Seems to Know About Astrology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Have you noticed how popular it is to ask someone their astrology sign these days?

In the past 10 years or so, astrology has been growing in popularity and it’s very common to ask a stranger what their sign is.

People will usually tell you one of the 12 zodiac signs that divide the year: Ares, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces.

12 months. 12 zodiac signs. 12 ways of categorizing our personalities.

Most people stop there because they don’t know that there is more to astrology than just one sign.

You read your “astrology sign” and think, “No, that’s not me at all. That is rubbish.” (I’ve been watching a lot of British TV Shows lately.)

You think the “vague” description doesn’t fit your personality at all.

Or you think that it fits you too well.

Or that all the descriptions fit you, which greatly confuses you.

And you should be confused. 

We think astrology is so simple and easy, but most people have no idea just how complex and wonderful it really is!

(We really like to over-simplifying things, don’t we?)

When people ask you for your zodiac sign, they are asking for your Sun Sign, the zodiac sign associated with your birth month.

Your astrology sign—the one that rules the month your birthday falls—is just your first sign.

That’s right, it’s your first sign. 

You are so much more than just your Sun Sign.

You have a whole chart of planets and their different energies affecting other parts of your chart!

You also have a Moon Sign, Mercury Sign, Venus Sign, Mars Sign, Jupiter Sign, Saturn Sign, Uranus Sign, Neptune Sign, Pluto Sign, your Ascendant or Rising Sign, and then how they are all related to each other and what it all means.

These signs are what are combined to make your Birth Chart, Natal Chart, or Astrology Chart. (These terms are used interchangeably but they all mean the same thing.)

An Astrology Chart is a circular chart of the houses of the zodiac and the placement of the planets in relation to your birth date, your birth time, and your birthplace.

Essentially, a cosmic blueprint of your personality based on those three things.

However, an Astrology Chart isn’t just who you are: it’s who you were, who you are, and who you could be. 

Your astrology chart is your POTENTIAL, not “who you are” in such black-and-white terms and it is always changing.

That’s the beauty of it: there is a choice in it.

The chart shows you aspects of yourself that you may use daily, tendencies you have in certain situations, and certain reactions you may have to certain things, like your home life, your love life, how you associate with others, and how you associate with yourself.

But the aspects change due to who you are, the choices you make, the experiences you’ve had, and the situations that require one aspect of your chart over or instead of another.

Then, when you no longer need that aspect, it will sit in the background and you may or may not ever need it again.

Nothing is ever set in stone.

It changes and adapts.

Two people with the same birthplace, time, and date can have very different personalities because of how they choose to use their potential. 

Fascinating, isn’t it?

Go make your Astrology Chart and then take a moment to read it all.

It will give you an explanation of what an Astrology Chart is, then show you all the aspects of your chart in a linear chart, explain each of your aspects, and then, at the very bottom, will be your circular chart with the symbols of the zodiac and the planets all mapped out.

Human beings are complex creatures and there is no black-and-white, fit-into-nicely-categorized-boxes sort of answers when it comes to our personalities, our lives, and our experiences—even using astrology. But that’s okay. That’s what makes growing and living so exciting.

And when someone asks you what your astrology sign is, just remember: you are more than just your Sun Sign.