This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Finding the perfect study spot in Boone is like finding parking: impossible unless you know where to look first.

Boone is such a lively place that finding a place to relax and truly focus is often somewhat hard to do. Now you can always check out the library like every other student on campus, but sometimes that just doesn’t cut it. This guide is for those times. For those times when the third floor is too quiet, the second floor it too loud, and all you want is some peace to try and be the type of student your parents can put a bumper sticker on their car for. So for the sake of you, your sanity, and your parent’s sanity give this “Study Guide” (ha get it?) a once-over and I guarantee you and your study habits will never be the same. 

10. Bookstore Benches

Now the bookstore benches might be one of the most easily overlooked hideaways on Appalachian’s Campus. Including outlets for some benches, a quiet study area, and a roomy seat to stretch out on and work or people watch, this little niche is perfect for a quick study session! While the hours in this space are limited to when the bookstore is open, it’s perfect for studying in the middle of the day, or just relaxing and checking out campus from a perfect little perch. Leg room is key everyone, and there isn’t a better place for it. 

9. Solarium

The Solarium is one of the best and most well-known places to study on campus. Advertised on every campus tour, and promoted even as a wedding venue, the solarium offers a unique study experience unlike any other. With the perfect amount of white noise thanks to the fountains, and the dim lighting for a peaceful ambiance, this is a place that promotes dedication to your studies above anything else. While there normally is pretty heavy foot traffic at certain parts of the day through the area that can serve to be a distraction, the overall appeal of The Solarium as a nice study space is not undermined because of its own popularity.   

8. Greenway Trail

If you don’t like being confined to a small study room or coffee shop, then the Greenway is the place for you. Perfect for both studying under one of the picnic areas, or just going for a run to destress (and see dogs). The Greenway is the best of Boone and is conveniently located less than fifteen minutes from campus. While this is obviously a study spot that is weather permitting, I encourage you to take advantage of it. Surrounding yourself with the natural beauty of Boone is the perfect reminder that sometimes the big picture is the prettiest view, and your small stresses can take the back burner for a little while. 

7. Panera Bread

An oldie, but a goodie that your high school self can be proud of. What better study space is there than one with free wifi and bread bowls? I repeat, you can study while eating a bread bowl! If that’s not enough to sell you, then the lovely coffee shop atmosphere will bring you in. While there may be issues connecting to wifi during their peak hours, there is no better place to have a casual study date with a couple of friends, or to sit alone in a booth and eat a bread bowl by yourself. (If you can’t tell the bread bowls are kind of my main draw to here). The possibilities are endless with Panera. 

6. Belk Library Study Rooms

While getting a study room around finals and midterms is an actual blood sport, booking one during the year is absolutely incredible. Depending on what room you get, you can customize your study experience based on your needs and how many people you want to share your space with. These are perfect for group projects and are more accessible than anywhere else on campus thanks to Belk Library’s new website that allows you to book a room from any mobile device. If you’re looking for a place to study, or even to sleep in the most desperate and long of study sessions, then these are perfect for you.  

5. Howard’s Knob Patio

Now if the Greenway is a little too outdoorsy for you, but you still want to embrace the beautiful Boone weather while you can, then Howards Knob Patio is for you. Conveniently located on the third floor of the Student Union across from the gym that you can lie and tell yourself you will go to after you study, this study space is quiet and comes with views that Drake would be jealous of. While obviously, the pure temperament of Boone weather can be a drawback to studying in this area, on a pretty day there isn’t a better place to kick back, relax, and work. 

4. Whitewater Cafe

Let me introduce the unsung hero of the Student Union to you all – Whitewater Cafe. Featuring a computer lab, a variety of TV’s to catch up on current news, and possibly the world’s most comfortable chairs, Whitewater is a pretty wonderful place. Not to mention, the proximity to Mcallister’s mac and cheese is fantastic. The only downside to this space is sometimes gets rented out for events or club meetings, but when it comes down to it, there is no better place to curl up, listen to the (normally) soothing radio and get some work done. 

3. Crossroads/Wired Scholar

Crossroads is the place you go if you are getting serious studying done. Located in the middle of the Student Union, it serves as the heart of the whole building. With lively music, great coffee, and awesome tunes, it’s easy to see why this place is always packed. The atmosphere is great and the outlets are normally pretty accessible, what else do you really need? 

Now if you want to just relax, look through some notes, and not hardcore study, then The Wired Scholar is the place for you. The staff is honestly the best on campus, and there isn’t anyone that owns 80’s cardio hits as well as these guys do. Surrounding yourself with a group of people as wonderful as them is the perfect way to take the stress out of studying, and to enjoy a pretty fantastic cup of coffee. 

2. Profile Trail Lounge 

While this isn’t exactly a picture of the lounge, it’s pretty close. The best treasures are best left to the imagination, right? Located above cascades and next to the Greek Offices, the Profile Trail Lounge is a perfect place to have a quiet study session any time of the year. There are outlets at nearly every table, and the company is normally not too intrusive. It is the perfect place to get serious work done, without completely isolating yourself from the rest of campus. 

1. Espresso News

The crown jewel of all of Boone, Espresso News is the perfect place to get off campus and study without having to go too far. Hidden behind Footsloggers on King Street, Espresso News, or “E-News,” is a diamond in the rough. If you are looking for a comfortable, cozy, study spot that’s also perfect for any Instagram picture, then E-News is perfect for you. The coffee is great, the muffins are better, the outlets are everywhere, and honestly, there isn’t a more idyllic place in Boone to spend a day studying. 

Happy Studying!