A Thank You Letter To My Single Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Dear Mom,

It is impossible to put into words everything I should be thankful for. When I think of my childhood, the first person that always comes to mind is you. I know raising me was not easy. Between our stubborn fights and my bratty stage in life, sometimes I don’t understand how you handled it.

To me, you’re not only my mom; you’re the strongest woman I know. You constantly showed me to find the good in life, even when it was even hard to find yourself. I know being a single mom was difficult. You made it look easy to balance a career, a daughter, and being active in the community, even when I knew it wasn’t. Your selfless manner is one of the many reasons I will always look up to you.

You unconditional love has made me understand what love truly is. When we were both surrounded by the solitude of each other, everyday, your unconditional love was all I needed. You gave me double the love that I ever needed and deserved. It was more than making me feel loved; it was teaching me that even through the difficult situations, I am loved.

The will that you have to never give up was something that I aspire to have one day. Even on the days when all you wanted to do was take a nap after a long day at work, you put me before yourself. You never gave up on the things that I needed and continued to give me more than I ever deserved. Even when I doubted myself, you never gave up on me. You were at every sporting event, competition, school field trip, and many more, and never gave up. And your constant motivation gave me the confidence to accomplish many great tasks in life, and I wouldn’t have done it if it weren’t for you.

Growing up with a single parent is not the perfect storybook situation, but when it is a single mom like you, I do not need storybook. The strength, unconditional love, and support that you gave me was more than any two parents could ever fulfill. I never looked at having a single-parent as a disadvantage, because I got to brag about how awesome my one parent was. I can’t tell you enough how much it meant to me that you were always next to me with a smile on your face, encouraging me to be the best person I could possibly be.

As I get older, I realize that I should take time to thank you for the countless things you did in my life. But when I think about it, a simple thank you is not enough.

It is more than a thank you. It’s the words that I can’t put together just knowing that you are in my life. When I know everything else in my life may not be constant, I know you always will be.

It is more than a thank you, Mom. It’s more than saying “I love you with all my heart” because that’s still not enough. So here’s to you mom, not only my mom, but my selfless, compassionate, loving, and inspiring single mom.

Happy Mothers Day! 

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.