This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The Pantone Fashion Color Report for Spring/Summer 2013 is out. The theme is balance and here are the colors that are in:

Dusk Blue: Calm and Serene like the time of day it represents

Grayed Jade: The color of the stone Jade with heavy gray undertones

Linen: Nude-like color with a light, airy feel

Emerald: vivid and bright with a sense of clarity and sparkle

African Violet: floral and exotic; unexpected combining color 

Nectarine: warm orange that flatters skin tones

Poppy Red: fun and exuberant; meant for spring

Lemon Zest: sunshine and good cheer; balancing color in the palette

Tender Shoots: attention-getter, bounces off other colors in the palette

Monaco Blue: anchor of the palette, brightened navy

With a wonderful palette like this, combining colors can seem overwhelming. Designers such as Nicole Miller, Charlotte Ronson, and Ella Moss lend their talents to help us out with some sketches of Spring 2013 outfits.

[pagebreak]

Tommy Hilfiger uses his classic colors and style by incorporating Monaco Blue, Poppy Red, and Linen into this look. 

Hilfiger believes navy is a staple color for preppy wardrobes because it has a nautical feel and looks good on everyone. J. Crew emulates the classic, preppy style with this cotton tunic for $130. Dress it up with a linen-colored satchel and neutral heel, or throw it over a bathing suit with a floppy hat to head out to the beach. 

[pagebreak]

The next look is from designer Tracy Reese who combines greens for the ultimate spring look.

Reese believes the key word for spring is “‘easy’ – easy pieces that fall away from the body with a totally relaxed feeling really encompass the mood of the season.” Get this look by pairing emerald chinos (like these from Gap) with a structured or loose grayed jade jacket. Add neutral accessories to complete the look and not overwhelm the color scheme. 

[pagebreak]

Tadashi Shoji rounds out the color palette with a look that combines purple with unexpected citrus. 

His playful style includes the use of purples, red, blues, and oranges. Shoji says, “everyone looks good in Purple, specifically Eggplant or Aubergine. It’s as neutral as Black or Navy.” To get the look, go for a purple printed maxi or this plain one from Asos.com. Add bright accessories in Nectarine and Lemon Zest to complete your fun, spring look.