This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It is that time of year again! Everyone is anxiously anticipating the weekend of big sale blowouts and incredible deals. Some people pack the lines of their favorite stores by 6pm on Thanksgiving Day for the late night specials, and they are back again by 6am for the early bird doorbusters. Black Friday is great, I must admit. I am a patron Black Friday shopper and I love to get a good bargain, but between Black Friday and Cyber Monday is my most favorite shopping holiday of them all: Small Business Saturday.

I grew up in a very small town, so I have always been one to shop in local, hole-in-the-wall, original places in our downtown area. It is a small street with some of the best finds in the Charlotte area. Shopping local has always been a part of my life, but I never realized how great it actually is to do until I started working at a local shop.

I work in an adorable gift boutique in Belmont, North Carolina called Surprise Me. We carry mostly Made in the USA products and things made by local artists. My boss is like my grandmother and her son-in-law is my manager. From working in a small business, I have realized that when I buy things from Surprise Me, my money goes back to pay for something like my manager’s daughter’s cheerleading uniform, or to pay my boss’ bills or her groceries. 

I don’t know about you, but I like knowing that my money is going, and that it’ll benefit someone who works extremely hard to bring quality products into our city, rather than a huge company that outsources their production jobs to benefit their CEOs that already make more money in a year than I ever will in my life. Supporting local businesses puts your money back into your local community and ultimately supports the United States economy by keeping our money in our country instead of giving it to foreign companies.

Working in a small business has taught me the value of making personal connections with customers. I have made so many new friends out of our customer base, and it makes my day every time they come through the door and ask me how school is going or how my life is going in general. They are truly concerned about my well being, as I am theirs. I love it when the ladies come in with their children and grandchildren or show me pictures of a new baby in the family, whether it be human or dog. To me, business is much better this way. I may not know anything about the inner workings of the store, and I am no where close to a business major, but I can tell you that the personal connections I have made with our regulars and even new customers has made everything worthwhile. I love hearing the stories of customers from different walks of life and from different places. I have learned so many lessons and I have met so many cool people.

In 2011, the United States Senate passed a resolution of support for Small Business Saturday, making it official. In 2014, American Express encouraged small businesses to promote Small Business Saturday, giving them access to free advertising online. Last year, more than 95 million shoppers across the United States showed out to support local shops for Small Business Saturday. 

This year, there will likely be a higher turnout, but we need your help. Be sure to check out local businesses near you on Saturday, November 26 and discover a whole new world of products and deals. It will most definitely change the way you shop in the best way possible.

Photos:

https://www.813area.com/shopping/small-business-saturday-shop-local-supp…

Surprise Me’s Facebook Page

Christiana is a Senior at Appalachian State, where she is an Elementary Education major. She is the Editor in Chief of Her Campus App State and a sister of Sigma Kappa Sorority and serves as her chapter's Vice President of Scholarship. In her free time, Christiana likes to look at cute pictures of puppies, watch Netflix, and eat Ben and Jerry's Half Baked ice cream. She hopes to be a Kindergarten teacher one day, and to be a role model for elementary schoolers everywhere.