The On The Run Concert Event: An Overview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

On September 20, at 9 p.m., Beyoncé Giselle Knowles Carter and her husband, Shawn Corey Carter (more popularly known as Jay Z), graced the world with a 2 hour and 34 minute at-home concert. The On The Run Concert Event premiered on HBO and featured the concert in Paris, France, that concluded the couple’s On The Run world tour. The concert, which included a 42-song set list, was not only flawless in every way, shape, and form, but it was also unpredictable. It left you on the edge of your seat, wondering what the power couple would do next.  Although the entire performance went above and beyond, some of the best moments include:

The Throwback Opening Performance

With a mere 2 and a half hour timeslot, fans probably expected Jay and Bey to perform only their newest off the chart hits. But Beyoncé is the kind of woman that drops an album overnight with absolutely no announcements or promotions, so of course something unexpected was sure to occur. The couple opened with not one, not two, but three throwbacks. They took us back to 2003 with “’03 Bonnie & Clyde,” fast forwarded to 2006 with “Upgrade U,” then came back to ’03 with “Crazy In Love.” Opening with hits that date back to a pre-wedding, pre-Blu Ivy era was verification that Beyoncé and Jay Z are just as crazy in love as they were eleven years ago.

The Special Guest Appearance

You’ve got Jay Z. You’ve got Beyoncé. There’s no way you could fit more talent in one arena, right? Wrong. So wrong. Beyoncé did something new for the crowd during her “***Flawless” performance when she started performing the newly released remix of the song. Seconds later, Nicki Minaj casually walked on stage and finished out the song with Queen B. Coming from the screams from the audience in Paris, and also from my couch in Boone, it was clear no one was expecting the guest appearance.

The Outfits

Both Beyoncé and Jay Z took the stage in outfits nothing short of perfection. Mrs. Carter slayed in every performance in a variety of jumpsuits and dresses by designers ranging from Versace, Alexander Wang, Diesel, Givenchy, and more. Jay Z sported Tom Ford suits, Givenchy Tees and Rodarte. His sharp, modern looks perfectly complimented his wife’s shimmery, fabulous attire.

The Dutty Wine-ing

The Dutty Wine-ing was short. The Dutty Wine-ing was brief. But nonetheless, Beyoncé Dutty Wined on that stage and the world momentarily stopped spinning. There is no adequate definition for Dutty Wine, it is more like a state of being that Beyoncé notoriously gets into every time she performs “Baby Boy” featuring Sean Paul. She winds her waist and flips her hair and dances all over the place. If a normal person even tried to attempt Dutty Wine-ing then they may look absolutely insane, but Queen B manages to pull it off every time she Dutty Wines herself across that stage.

The Ending Performance

You were given throwbacks, a remix, a surprise guest appearance, incredible outfit changes, and Dutty Wine-ing, so that must be it, right? Wrong again. The power duo saved the best for last as they performed “Forever Young” together and then transitioned into Beyonce’s “Halo.”  Meanwhile, home videos of the couple played in the background for the audience to see. The videos featured very personal moments in their lives, such as their wedding and family vacations with their daughter, Blu Ivy. And then came the waterworks from everyone witnessing this. Needless to say, this ending performance silenced any and all rumors of the couple getting a divorce.

In just 2 hours and 34 minutes, Jayoncé raised the bar for every performer out there. And they’ve only just begun.

Source: http://www.yourmusicfix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/beyonce-nicki-min…

Source: http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/293/107/7/S2931077/slug/…