Queen of Our State, Queen of Our Hearts: Meet Allison Dunn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It seems nearly impossible to balance your social life, your sleep schedule, and your grades as a college student, but imagine holding the title of Miss North Carolina USA, traveling all over the world, and maintaining a “regular life” while you do it. Well, if you’re the super woman that is Allison “Allie” Dunn, then it’s just another day in the life!

This 21-year-old Stallings native is not only a member of the Appalachian State family, but also holds the title of Miss North Carolina USA.

Interviewing Allie, you truly cannot help but smile because this beauty is full of so much life and love for everyone she encounters.

Being the mountaineer that she is (go, App!), I wanted to know how Appalachian has shaped her. “I love the true sense of community at App. When we tell people they are joining the Mountaineer Family, it’s true! I felt so much support from everyone at Appalachian, from the Chancellor, professors, and students, after I won Miss NC USA and I no doubt appreciate App more for that. I think the university has helped shape me by pushing me, and not just academically. College really helps you learn how to adjust in uncomfortable situations which is a critical skill for life,” Allie said. 

Maintaining life as a young adult is hard enough, so how does this bombshell do it? She smiled and laughed a little saying, “Balancing my schoolwork, my titleholder duties, and modeling at the end of last semester was incredibly difficult. My family, directors, and I discussed right after I won taking the spring semester off so I could focus on being the best titleholder possible and preparing for Miss USA. You only get to experience being Miss North Carolina USA once so you have to make the most of every moment.”

Holding the title of Miss North Carolina USA means a lot of travel, not only in NC, but throughout the entire country, attending philanthropic events, speaking at schools, churches, and community events, visiting and supporting her sponsors, volunteering at local and national charitable events; the list is endless.

Talking more, I learned why Allie loves what she does so much. I asked her what her favorite part about it all was, to which she responded, “One, I love meeting and talking with people at appearances. At the two USO events I attended, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to service men women about their personal experiences with the armed forces. I have a brother who is a lieutenant in the Navy so that was close to my heart. Second, I love the new family I have been welcomed into. My RPM (pageant) family is more amazing than I can express! We had a titleholder retreat, basically a  four night sleepover, and it was the most fun I’ve had in a while!”

Doing all of this, it’s hard to stay down to earth, but some how Allie does it, spending her days off attending barre classes and binge watching Netflix all day (she’s one of us), noting that she can lick her elbow as a special talent, and telling us that if she had to, she would only eat ripe, juicy strawberries for the rest of her life.

So what’s next for Allie? First, competing for the title of Miss USA, next, hopefully moving to NYC to be a wedding planner for a year, and after that, opening her own company!

Not matter where God takes her, we are confident that her talent, her love, and her compassion will take her so far, and we will be supporting her every step of the way.

Jennifer is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Sociology. When she isn't writing, Jennifer is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta-Nu Alpha, is writing music, is making your favorite coffee, stopping every stranger on the street to pet their dogs, probably napping, and giving glory to The Lord for all of the opportunities she has been given.