This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Boone may be small but there is no shortage of places to eat. One of the best parts about that is the majority are local restaurants with incredible food. Don’t waste your time eating at chain restaurants with standard options, check these out instead.

Proper

142 Water Street

Open for lunch and dinner Monday-Friday, and brunch on Sundays

For a taste of traditional southern cooking, nothing beats Proper. You can choose from a variety of entrees including pulled pork, fried chicken, crab cakes, and turkey and dressing. Then add two sides and cornbread or a biscuit for just  $8.95. Also, every drink is served in a mason jar – the epitome of southern style.

For other home-style options check out: Mountain House or Peppers

[pagebreak]

Black Cat Burrito

127 North Depot Street

Open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week

Driving through Boone it’s hard not to notice the orange oval Black Cat Burrito bumper stickers everywhere. Black Cat not only offers their infamous burritos, but nachos, quesadillas, and more. I suggest their fish tacos or build your own nachos. Also, on the third Friday of every month, Black Cat features live music and dancing.

For other southwestern/Mexican options check out: Coyote Kitchen or Dos Amigos

[pagebreak]

Hokkaido

1824 Blowing Rock Road

Open 7 days a week

For good Japanese food at a great price, Hokkaido is the premier place to go. For under $10 you can get soup, salad, and a plate full of hibachi, including their incredible shrimp sauce. They provide quick and pleasant service and are conveniently located in the Walmart shopping center.

For other Asian options check out: Cha Da Thai (Thai) or Hunan Park (Chinese)

[pagebreak]

Sunrise Grill

1675 Highway 105

Open for breakfast and lunch 7 days a week

One sure way to start your day off right is at Sunrise Grill. They have an extensive breakfast menu with all the essentials plus signature Sunrise specials. These include: quiche of the day, chicken and waffles, country scramble, and blueberry and cream cheese stuffed french toast (pictured). 

For other breakfast options check out: Mountain Bagels or Melanie’s

[pagebreak]

Char

179 Howard Street

Open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week and brunch on Sundays

Most people only know Char as a nightclub, but during the day it provides upscale dining at its best. The dinnertime atmosphere is conducive to modern American dining with a fully stocked bar. I suggest starting with the spinach & artichoke dip with crabmeat then the cedar plank salmon entrée. Stick around until 10:30 for a live DJ and dancing.

For other upscale options check out: The Peddler or Casa Rustica