This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If you’re a soon to be graduate, I have a question for you. What are your plans after you graduate? The million dollar question that I feel as if I have been beaten with since I began my college career, however, it has gotten entirely worse since I am an upcoming graduate. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a valid question and one that I continue to struggle answering myself. After four years of college, you would think one would know what they want to do next in life, right? Well, as we all know that’s not always the case, hate to break it to you mom and dad, but we may not be finished growing up after all.

The good thing is, in my opinion, it is okay to still not know what you want to do for the rest of your life. If you do, and you already have that job lined up for when you graduate then honestly, you deserve a round of applause, but as for the rest of us, it’s not the end of the world that we do not know what our life looks like after we graduate and yes, to me that’s a scary feeling.

Maybe you’re the one who wants to take a year or so and travel the world and take time to find yourself, you may want to continue on with school and pursue your Master’s or more, you may feel so overwhelmed you just need a break, period, and want to move back home with your parents until you get things figured out, that’s okay too. Maybe you do have a job lined up, but it’s not something you think that you want to do the rest of your life. Whatever the case may be, you still have time to figure life out and you’re not a “failure”. Seriously, you just graduated from college which a lot of people still can’t say they have done or do not even have the opportunity to do so.

I recently read an article that referred to some of us as “sprinter’s” who know what they want to do and have it all figured out (I wish that was me), then there are those classified as “wanderer’s” (cough cough me) who are on an uncertain path in life and are still just trying to figure things out, lastly there are the “stragglers” and I’m sure you can assume who those people are, and I know we’ve all been there at some point in our lives, you’re just kind of drifting through your 20’s, you don’t really have a plan and you’re not necessarily wondering about one either. 

If you’re like me, I’m currently overwhelmed with an abundance of thoughts about graduating from simple, silly things like when should I schedule graduation pictures?, do I want a graduation ring?, to serious thoughts like I NEED to be applying for jobs, but what areas do I want to apply to?, how will I pay for everything?, do I want to go back and get my Master’s?, how will I adult??? All of these questions run through my mind on a daily basis. All I can tell myself is to take it day by day because that’s simply all you can do. Do your best and the main thing is have confidence in yourself. Confidence that you can get that job and make it in that city, even if you’re on your own. We have had four years of college and even more schooling before that to (hopefully) prepare us more for the real world. Nevertheless, we also have to eventually enter the real world to learn firsthand how to deal with it.

So, congratulations class of 2018, when it hits May, we can say…

Sources:

https://nyti.ms/2jI71Hi

www.giphy.com