None of Us Were Ready for Taylor Swift’s Reputation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I can remember the very first time I heard a Taylor Swift song. I was in the 5th grade on a field trip to the Outer Banks with my school. We were in the charter bus leaving dinner when Becca Hill played “Our Song” for me on her iPod. In that moment, my life was forever changed.

Ever since that night at the Outer Banks, I have absolutely loved Taylor Swift. I have looked up to her as a role model, I have listened to her music to get me through rough times, and even passive agressively quoted her lyrics on Twitter a few too many times in high school. I stood by her when she made the fateful switch from country to pop, through the Spotify and Apple Music controversy, and even through the drama with Kimye (cue eye roll here). I’ve been to every single one of her stand alone tours, yes, I went to Fearless, Red, 1989, and I cannot wait to be in the stands for Reputation. 

It is no surprise that I was anxiously anticipating the release of her Reputation album. From the moment she wiped her website and all social media platforms clean, I knew something big was coming. I missed her during her hiatus, and the absence of her new music was weighing on me. I couldn’t wait to hear what she had been working on since she ended her 1989 tour. 

So, there I was, 13 minutes until midnight on August 24th, wine drunk with two of my best friends. As I listened, tears streamed down my face because I was so happy to finally hear some new music from my favorite artist. I listened to the song at least 5 times in a row. I couldn’t wait to hear more, and to my joyous surprise, she released not one, but four singles from her new album before it released. 

Now, let me tell you, I was completely blown away by the range of songs she released as singles. Like, is there anything this woman can’t do??

So, it is no surprise that I bought her album when it released on Friday, and I have been listening to it nonstop. I needed a few days to really listen and think about it before I sat down to write this article, and now I have some very strong opinions and ideas of this work of genius.

Taylor knew exactly what she was doing when she wrote this album. It is a subtle mix of revenge and love. The few songs that take a jab at Kanye West are a taste of poetic justice that needed to be served. Instead of causing a scene at an awards show, she used her voice as a songwriter to say what needed to be said in the classiest of ways.

The rest of the album is about a mystery love interest that seems to have taken over Taylor. She had been keeping her relationship with British actor, Joe Alwyn, quiet, and it honestly was a great decision for her. It has allowed her to get to know this guy and take things slow without the pressure of the whole world watching their every move. The music that resulted from this relationship is some of Taylor’s best work. It is a real life love story, and the feelings we go through in each stage of a relationship. It is real, it is emotional, and it is just darn good music. 

There is a song for every mood on this album. Feeling edgy and angry? Look What You Made Me Do and I Did Something Bad will help your mood. Feeling all mushy gushy in love because that cute boy from your Bio class finally texted you? Gorgeous, Delicate, End Game, and New Year’s Day are for you. Feeling madly in love with your S.O. and you wanna tell him just how much you love him? Cue King of My Heart, Dancing With Our Hands Tied, and Dress. Going out with your friends on the weekend? …Ready For It?, This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things, and basically every single song is perfect for this occasion. And finally, wanna take a jab at someone? This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things, Don’t Blame Me, I Did Something Bad, and Look What You Made Me Do should do the trick.

I am forever a lover of “Red.” I still love every single song on that album and I thought it would never be surpassed by anything else Taylor ever did, but once again, Taylor has proved me wrong.

Well done, Taylor. 

Photos:

giphy.com

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/7941019/taylor-swift-reput…

Christiana is a Senior at Appalachian State, where she is an Elementary Education major. She is the Editor in Chief of Her Campus App State and a sister of Sigma Kappa Sorority and serves as her chapter's Vice President of Scholarship. In her free time, Christiana likes to look at cute pictures of puppies, watch Netflix, and eat Ben and Jerry's Half Baked ice cream. She hopes to be a Kindergarten teacher one day, and to be a role model for elementary schoolers everywhere.