Musically Gifted: Meet Caroline Valitutto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Caroline Valitutto, a native of Greensboro, North Carolina is a music therapy and vocal performance major at Appalachian State University.

Valitutto began her passion for music at a young age when she learned how to play the violin at three years old. From there, she started singing in her church choir at age eight and began private voice lessons on her first day of high school.

When asked why she chose to double major in music therapy and vocal performance Valitutto said, “When I was in high school, I found out about music therapy and researched it to see how I could pursue it. I did my senior career project following a music therapist for 30 hours and that’s how I discovered I really wanted to pursue the degree and career. As far as performance, I have always loved performing. When I got to App, I decided to add the major so I would have more opportunities to perform that other majors do not.” Aside from her major, Valitutto serves as a music director for the all-female a cappella group called the Mountain Ayres. She’s also the vice president for Advocates Promoting Positive Self Image, a member of the Appalachian Musical Theatre club, and a research assistant in the psychology department.

Valitutto’s biggest mentor is her older brother who is a professional pianist, composer, accompanist located in LA. “He is very successful at what he does and I have always admired the way he does it with such respect and confidence,” Valitutto said.

Following graduation in May, Valitutto scored a six month internship in Tallahassee, Florida in a mental health unit of a hospital.

Catch her in the Appalachian Opera Theatre’s production of The Magic Flute April 6-8 at 8 p.m. and April 9 at 2 p.m.

"Let's do what we love and do a lot of it."-Marc Jacobs
Taylor currently works in television production in New York City. Her current project was for a Sesame Work Shop show called 'Helpsters' that is now streaming on AppleTV. While at Appalachian State University, Taylor majored in Film and Creative Writing. She enjoys reality TV, college basketball, binge-watching Netflix, eating Mexican food, and cuddling with her cats. Her dream is to be a television show writer. For inquries, she can be reached at taylorpdills@gmail.com https://www.linkedin.com/in/taylordills/