Meet Susan Zhao, President of the Appalachian Honors Association

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Susan Zhao

Year: Junior

Major: Molecular Biology, minor in Chinese, Chemistry, and Medical Humanities

Hometown: Raleigh

Q: How long have you been involved in the Appalachian Honors Association?

A: I did not know about the Honors Association when I first came to ASU. I received an invite after my first semester, and was accepted at the end of my freshmen year. I served as Treasurer last year, also.

Q: What are you duties as President?

A: I conduct meetings, and I am the liaison between the honors student body and the advisory board.

Q: What events do you have during the year?

A: We host a Reading Day ice cream social, the great raft debate, ski trips, community service for the huger coalition, and music nights at The Platform.

Q: How has being a part of the Honors association helped your college experience?

A: It has given me an opportunity for leadership, and a chance to grow not only academically but also in community service. It has also given me a sense of community.

Q: What else are you involved in?

A: I am the pre-med leader of health professions club, the Vice President of Omicrom Delta Kappa, the Career Development director for Chi Omega Fraternity, an on-campus tutor, a mental health ambassador, a researcher in Dr. Mowa’s lab and I also play the violin and volunteer at OASIS.