Meet Superwoman Emily Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Straight outta Athens, Ohio, junior Emily Brown is one of the most involved human beings you will ever meet at Appalachian State University. Ms. Brown is currently the president of the French club, the volunteer coordinator for the multicultural center, an IPal (person who is paired with an International student and serves as their mentor), a French tutor, a SOUL, and a member of Sigma Kappa sorority.

Honestly she is probably a member of a few other things that I didn’t even get to write down because she was listing off so many clubs.

Emily said that during her senior year of high school she had a friend who wanted to visit UNC-Chapel Hill, so they made a trip to North Carolina. However, during that trip they also decided to look at Appalachian. Long story short, Emily was accepted into the Honors College and became a Diversity Scholar and now she is here!

Emily became very involved on campus during her sophomore year. Not only did she become president of the French club, but she was also a resident assistant in Hoey AND also found time to join Sigma Kappa Sorority.

After hearing this I looked at her and asked, “How do you have time for all of this?” She responded by saying, “Yeah, I have a meeting every night and three on Wednesdays.”

Alrighty then.

She has also participated in service work in Nicaragua, Ecuador, and Honduras. While everyone was at the beach partying it up during spring break last year, Emily was doing service work in Ecuador.   Just let that sink in.

However, she says her favorite place she has visited is South Africa because of the culture and the landscape. “The culture is just so different and the people are so kind. The landscape was also beautiful,” she said.  

Emily is also studying abroad next semester in France and says she “hopes it will alleviate some of the time commitments I’m involved with this year.” I then asked her what all of her 200 clubs would do without her while she was gone and she responded, “It will definitely be a good time for younger students to step up and take leadership positions.”

Emily is also pretty good friends with Chancellor Everts (of course she is!) and says that Everts is “empowering.” She says that she really listens to the student leaders and has an invested in making Appalachian the best university it can be.

Emily is also hoping to join the Peace Corps when she finishes her undergraduate studies at Appalachian.  It never ends!

So, all in all it is pretty obvious that Emily is super involved on campus and on top of that, she is a TOTAL sweetheart. All she ever does is giggle, volunteer, and give people rides when they need them because she is THAT SWEET. Moral of the story is we should all try to be a little more like Emily, because she is fabulous. 

Carlin is a senior at Appalachian State University pursuing a degree in Public Relations and English. She is a Bachelor and One Tree Hill fanatic who is passionate about chocolate frosties and Chipotle. Her dream job is to be a sports reporter for ESPN.