This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Sierra SantosMajor: SociologyYear: Junior

Q: What are some of your hobbies or passions?A: My number one hobby is probably learning.  There’s nothing more in the world that I value more than knowledge.  I really love reading too, especially articles on gender or sexuality, and the ever changing family form.  I love painting, drawing, but I don’t get to do it as much as I like to though with my schedule.  I like writing and encouraging others and spending time with my fur babies.  They’re the cutest.  They’re English Cream Golden Retriever puppies and they’re nine weeks old now.  Out of the six, we’re keeping two. 

Q: What’s your mantra?A: The way you define a situation becomes its reality.  It’s so powerful because even when times are really tough you have to tell yourself that its gonna be okay.  I believe the world is here to help us.  When people say things like the world is so dark and so bad, you’re accepting all that negative energy and pretty much setting yourself up for failure.

Q: Where do you see yourself in the next 10 years?A: I’ll be 31.  Whoah.  Hopefully employed.  Still learning, asking questions and making the familiar strange.  As far as careers go, I’m trying to figure out if I want to pursue family counseling or teaching at the collegiate level. If I could be a professor at App State, I would probably die of happiness.

Q: What do you look for in a partner?A: Authenticity. Someone who is not afraid to be themselves.  Someone who is real, honest.  Maturely embraces the courage of imperfection.  So often people look for perfection in relationships.  Unhealthy perfection destroys all of the potential love that could have blossomed between two people. Recognizing that there will be conflict, that there is going to be disagreement but at the same time know that you’re going to have to put effort in is key. 

Q:What’s your guilty pleasure?A: Law and order SVU.

Q: Who do you listen to pump you up?A: Anything by Nikki Minaj.

Q:What is one item on your bucket list?A: I’d love to go to Australia someday, and I would also love to meet Brenè Brown. 

Q: Who has influenced you the most?A: My teachers.  They’ve made me the strong woman I am today.  Ive had the privilege to have passionate, intelligent, enthusiastic people to teach me. Honestly, I still keep in touch with most of them, even from elementary school. 

Q: Where can people normally find you?A: Third floor of the library.

Kendall is a senior at Appalachian State studying Communication Studies and Journalism.  Though she grew up in the Queen City, she is the daughter of two former Mountaineers and has always considered Boone a second home.  She has a love for dirty chai lattes, Grey's Anatomy, red lipstick, and a future in Television News.