Meet Lyndsay Cooper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Q: Tell me about your current job and where you are living.A:  I currently work for the public affairs department of the law firm Moore & Van Allen in Charlotte, NC. I am the Assistant Creative Director and do graphic design for print ads, billboards, promotional products, websites, etc. The coolest part of my job is that I work in the Bank of America Corporate Center on the 51st floor with an awesome view of Charlotte and the Panther’s stadium! I am living in an apartment complex off Park Road, walking distance to Montford, which is such a fantastic area.

Q: What do you like most about being out of college and in the work world?A:  PAYCHECKS. No but really, being financially independent is the most incredible feeling. It’s so empowering to be able to pay your own bills, have health insurance, and you know, go on the occasional shopping spree.

Q:  What are some challenges you’ve faced as a graduate, in looking for jobs and picking a place to live, etc.?A:  I didn’t have a clue what I was doing until about 4 days after I graduated; I was freaking out to say the least. I was dreading moving home with no job, no income, and no plan. I was actually offered a job with one company but I knew it wasn’t exactly what I wanted to be doing so I turned it down and took an 8-week contract position with Moore & Van Allen. Turning down a salaried job was such a tough decision but I knew it wasn’t right for me and during the 6th week at Moore & Van Allen I got offered a full-time position!

Q:  What advice would you give to seniors about graduation, job hunting, and enjoying the last few months of undergrad?A:  DON’T spend all your time stressing about the future. Be prepared, yes, but don’t let it dictate how you spend your time in college. As far as job hunting goes, be persistent. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to contact companies directly. Job postings are extremely helpful and definitely work, but seek out companies you’re interested in working for and reach out to them. I got my job because I emailed Moore & Van Allen and told them I was impressed with their work and would love to come in for an informational interview to learn more about the company. As it turns out, they were looking for a graphic designer but hadn’t even posted a job listing so I got in there before anyone else. Know what you want and go after it.

Q:  Anything you wish you would have done in college or anything you wish you would have done differently?A:  Honestly, no. I loved my college experience and wouldn’t change a thing. Except maybe eat a few more Tapp tacos.

Q:  How did Her Campus impact you professionally?A:  Her Campus helped me develop professionally in ways I never would have expected. I learned how to meet deadlines, expand myself creatively, and how to be flexible. I actually do a fair amount of copywriting at my job now and writing for Her Campus definitely improved my creative writing ability. Being the Co-Director of the Public Relations team also showed responsibility and leadership. Her Campus is a great resume booster!

I am a 2015 graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in communication, journalism. Upon graduation, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work for my college sorority, AOII. I am currently the Assistant Director of Communications of AOII and Editor of our internationally-circulated magazine, To Dragma. I'm a fitness enthusiast through and through. I love weightlifting, running and boxing, and I am always up for a new workout! I am also a coffee addict with a killer sweet tooth. When I'm not at work or at the gym, you can find me scoping out the latest and greatest coffee and donut spots in Nashville.  I've been part of the Her Campus team since 2012, when I joined App State's team of writers. I was the CC of my chapter my senior year, as well as a Chapter Advisor. I have remained a CA since graduating, and I love having the opportunity to stay connected to Her Campus in this role!