This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

While many of us collegiate inhabitants of Boone were away for the summer, there were a few changes around here.  We’ve had some pretty good weather here for the first two weeks of classes, so if you’ve been strolling down King Street in your free time, you should take some time to pop into a new and fabulous boutique, Boone Belles. They’ve got some really stylish and college budget affordable clothing, jewelry and more; you can check them out on Facebook and Instagram. If you’re looking for a great game day outfit (the first home game of the season is next weekend!), something to spruce up your wardrobe, or just a casual cute outfit, this is the place to shop!

Now another new clothing store has also popped up on King Street, called Barefoot Campus Outfitters. It’s stocked with all of our favorite Mountaineer gear, and the whole store is bursting with Appalachian pride, just like our students.  Check out their Facebook page and website! This stuff would make a great gift for a fellow ‘Neer, or new member of the Appalachian Family.

Now as you’re strolling on King Street doing some shopping, take a little turn and head to N. Depot Street to check out a new place to eat and (if you’re 21) grab a beer! Lost Province Brewing Co arrived in Boone at the beginning of August, and they’re doing a great job of keeping all their business local. They’ve made a statement on their website that they’re going to be supporting local non-profic organizations to help make The High Country a “more vibrant and healthy place to live”. From what I can tell so far this company is utilizing all that Boone has to offer by doing business with other local and sustainable small businesses. After all, the motto basically is “Act Local, Be Local” here isn’t it? Seriously, go check them out!

While King Street is popping with some new stuff, there have been some big changes on our very own campus. If you’re an upperclassman here, it’s going to be hard to start to say these new names. First, you’ve should have noticed by now that this past March Central Dining Hall was renamed to Roess Dining Hall. This was in honor of Appalachian State benefactor and Board of Trustees member, Alice Roess. Secondly, this past summer Thelma C. Raley Hall was renamed to Peacock Hall in honor of the 31 years of service Chancellor Peacock gave to our university.

West Side of campus got a bit more attention this summer, too. The remodeling of Trivette Dining Hall was completed earlier this month, and Winkler Hall was demolished. It just wouldn’t be Boone if there wasn’t construction going on somewhere. The Red Carpet Inn and, long condemned eyesore, Scottish Inn are going to be torn down and transformed into mixed-use, student housing that will be here in fall 2016 thanks to Stonegate Developers. To also be included in the plans are a gym, coffee shop, and a parking deck to accommodate these new developments. You can see the plans and read more about it here: http://www.hcpress.com/news/boone-town-council-approves-zoning-request-for-the-standard-of-boone-development-off-of-blowing-rock-road.html.

We’re still awaiting the announcement of what the old K-Mart will be turned in to since it closes this September… personally, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a Target.

Campus life is expanding too, particularly with the Greeks. Two years ago we had Zeta Tau Alpha arrive and colonize, now this fall we are welcoming a new sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta to Appalachian’s Greek community. You should check out Alla Hill’s article Sorority Recruitment: Myths vs. Reality if you’re considering joining a sorority. To register for recruitment and find out more information, head over to this website: greeks.appstate.edu.

Now these are just a few hot topic happenings that have been going on, and Boone has so many hidden treasures, you should take advantage of everything this town has to offer. Cheers to a new year, ‘Neers!

Amber Layfield, senior at Appalachian State studying psychology and criminal justice, teaches Pilates and Yoga, and is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Appalachian State!  Enjoys hiking in Boone, getting lost in a great book, dabbling in cooking, knitting, creating jewelry, and writing. An avid animal, coffee, pizza, Harry Potter and Pinterest lover.