This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Forever alone. Isn’t that what everyone says when they are currently in between significant others? I’m here to tell you why it isn’t bad to be single.

I will admit that I have used the phrase “forever alone”. But I use it as a joke, simply because I have been forever alone for forever. Literally. Eighteen years old and never been on a date, never had a boyfriend, nothing. And I am a perfectly happy person even with this fact.

First up, you know who you are without having to figure it out with someone in tow. I have seen some amazing people change who they are to fit into their boyfriend’s idea of who they should be. Don’t do that. Figure out who you are a person. I like books and movies that are the epitome of nerdy. I know what I do and don’t like because I have been myself around myself. Experimentation. It’s a thing.

Numero dos, you don’t have to shave. At least, not when you don’t want to. That’s right. You can channel Chewbacca if you want. No shave November is a thing that happens every year or all the time. Or never. It’s up to you because you are single!

I am weird. This is a fact. I have discovered this fact of life through exploration with myself. So, I have learned to just what extent I am weird. Learn just how weird you can be with yourself. You can be weird with your best friends and hear about all of their drama and laugh because you are free. 

So, say there’s a cute guy in one of your classes, the coffee shop, or the bookstore. You can flirt with him. Remain open, on the prowl, what have you. But you can do so without guilt. Unless of course, you flirt with cute guys even when you are dating, in which case, you do you.

But basically, being single gives you the opportunity to become happy with who you are as a person. Being single isn’t terrible.