Holy Ghost Tent Revival Bring Bluegrass Rock to Legends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The Holy Ghost Tent Revival was introduced to the students of Appalachian State University on Thursday, September 22. Hosted at campus music venue, Legends, by Appalachian Popular Programming Society (A.P.P.S.), the concert caused me and my fellow students to put down their studying materials for a few hours and start their weekend a bit early.

My friends were always ranting and raving about the Holy Ghost Tent Revival, but I had never gotten into them because I was too invested in my favorite North Carolina bluegrass band, The Avett Brothers. However, I still bought my ticket, looking for an escape from the hectic week I was going through.

Opening for Holy Ghost Tent Revival was the “ska” band, Corporate Fandango, which really got the crowd moving before the concert began. Led by horns and a saxophone, the band had a unique sound and pumped up the audience for the headlining band.

It was very obvious that Holy Ghost Tent Revival had a large following in North Carolina. Bodies were packed in front of the stage with little to no room to dance and move around as everyone tried to get a glimpse of the band playing their music.

The band was amazing, and by the end of the show, I was regretting the fact that I had ever hesitated to purchase my ticket in the first place! It was a packed and crazy crowd, but it turned out to be an incredible experience!

Holy Ghost Tent Revival’s energy was electric and the intensity in how they played their instruments showed. They fed off of the crowd’s excitement and eagerness to dance, and I could tell everyone was having an awesome time.

After ending the concert with an encore of their most popular song, “Getting Over Your Love,” I was reluctant to leave, despite the fact that it was 1:15 in the morning and I had an 8 am. The ringing in my ears the next morning, and the loss of voice from screaming at the concert was well worth it. I jumped into bed right when I got home (after a few slices of Hungry Howies), so glad that I had taken the time to hear such a great band.

Although I will forever love The Avett Brothers, and still think they’re the best thing to come out of North Carolina besides Cookout and cheerwine, Holy Ghost Tent Revival now comes in a very close second for my love of NC blue grass bands.

Hey, I'm Casey! I'm a third year student at the University of Virginia studying Global Security and Justice with a minor in French. At school, I'm involved in many clubs, volunteer programs, and my sorority. I love reading novels, trying new healthy recipes and workouts, and long distance running almost as much as I love nachos, any dessert involving peanut butter, and laying in bed wasting my time on Pinterest and bingeing House of Cards on Netflix. I'm also arguably the world's biggest Harry Potter fan, and have been known to watch all 8 movies in the span of one day. If you also enjoy debating whether Harry should have ended up with Hermione instead of Ginny or watching Facebook food videos for hours on end, we should be best friends immediately.
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!