Hard Work Pays Off: Meet Amber Thompson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Amber Thompson is a senior gerontology student minoring in psychology at Appalachian State University. She is expected to graduate in May 2017 and afterwards will start an internship with the Western Piedmont Council of Governments Area Agency on Aging. While juggling work and school, Amber also finds time for her boyfriend of three years who is out on Army deployment for another three months.

Amber is one of few who has really been able to turn her passion into a career.

According to google, gerontology is: “the scientific study of old age, the process or aging, and the particular problems of old people.” If you were to ask Amber the same question she would simply say it “describes her mission to serve.”

At the age of 13, Amber’s uncle was diagnosed with ALS. Watching both his mind and body deteriorate, in part, contributed to her desire to do something. This happening coupled with the mistreatment of her great grandmother, who was moved from one treatment center to the next. She acted as a huge motivator for Amber when choosing her career path.

Amber is currently caring for an elderly couple (both age 90) each morning and evening during the week. The wife suffers from memory loss while the husband has both diabetes and heart problems. The opportunity to serve this couple has proved to Amber that not only does she want to care for the elderly, but that she wants to do so as an independent care-taker.

When asked why she would rather work independently, Amber said, “The thing I am most concerned about is the mistreatment of elderly people within these centers.”

This major can lead to some pretty demanding job opportunities, but Amber is no stranger to hard work. She has held a job since the age of 16, earned her associates degree in middle college, and is graduating from App State just after three years. Amber is able to do all this while still maintaining a social life and a passion for her other hobbies which include singing and supporting her friends in various groups around campus.

I have been lucky enough to know Amber since freshman year. I remember being a little intimidated by her confidence, but after knowing her for three years now, it is easy for me to admit that that same confidence is what motivates me to do better.

Amber is hardworking, kind, and truly a friend for life.