The Greatest Things I Learned from Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s been quite some time since my last post, but that’s largely because I just wasn’t sure how to explain how I was feeling.

The truth is that study abroad is not easy. It’s actually really hard, and I had a really hard time adjusting when I first got here. I have never been the type to become homesick or miss my family, and feeling those things was something brand new for me. I wasn’t sure how to cope. But even though I struggled sometimes, I still had the time of my life. I’m still having the time of my life. 

First of all, I am a big believer in fate. And when I chose Belgium to study, I also felt that this program chose me. All other programs I tried to apply to ended up not working out in one way or another and the entire process to attend school in Belgium was so easy and effortless that I knew it was the right place for me. I didn’t know very much going into it, even on the plane to Belgium I was clueless, but I was very confident I would be okay. I know that all of the circumstances I’ve come across and the challenges I’ve faced have happened to me for a reason and have changed me for the better. 

Second, I really think that no two study abroad experiences are the same, which is part of the reason I hadn’t written for so long. Since I really struggled for a few weeks, I didn’t want to seem ungrateful, or seem like I felt that I made a mistake by coming. But looking back I really think those reactions are normal. For me, this was the very first time I had ever lived entirely by myself – which is now something I’m quite grateful for – and it was also the first time I had ever left the country. (Besides Canada). I think I have benefitted beyond measure just because of those circumstances alone. And even though every experience is different, and there are some who have struggled more or less than I have, I’m pretty confident when I say every person to experience this would say it was one of the greatest times of their lives. 

And now that we’re almost finished with the semester I find myself wanting to rewind to the beginning, refacing the hard times, feeling out of my comfort zone, being afraid. Because those were the times that I learned the most about myself and about the culture I’m now in love with. 

In addition, my idea of the global community, other cultures, and my own culture, has expanded exponentially. This is very much because of the wonderful people that I’ve had the blessing to meet along the way. Each person was from a different background, knew multiple languages, and for some I was the first American they had ever met. How awesome is that? I hope the people I’ve met, my classmates especially, know how much they’ve truly touched my life and changed me for the better – for this I can never thank them enough. 

I now believe that study abroad is so important because it reflects the beauty of life itself. Even when you’re afraid, lost, or you feel like you’re facing challenges you’ll never be able to overcome, life is still beautiful, and still has blessings, no matter how small. And the times when you have the least amount of faith are the times you learn the most about yourself and those around you, and even that’s a blessing in itself. 

At the end of the day, there’s three things I now know for certain.

1. I will live abroad again. There’s nothing I love more than learning about other cultures in comparison to my own. And I will also learn another language, hopefully multiple. 

2. People, no matter where you are in the world, are generally good people. I don’t care what the media says. I feel like before I went abroad there was always this idea that Europe was really unsafe and that my life would turn into a version of the movie “Taken” with Liam Nieson (remember that one?). Honestly I feel more safe in Belgium than in the United States. The truth is that you have to be smart about your safety no matter where you are in the world. I genuinely believe that people, no matter their morals, beliefs, backgrounds, religion, what have it, are good people and if you respect your host country’s way of living, people will almost always be willing to help you and take care of you. 

3. Being outside of your comfort zone is one of the greatest things you can do to better yourself. I learned the most when I was lost, afraid, or unsure about myself. I actually think that it’s better to be uncomfortable than comfortable in whatever situation. The familiar is dangerous to how much you truly learn about things around you. 

With that in mind, I couldn’t be more grateful that I took a leap of faith and took this opportunity while I could. Even though I was scared and had no idea what to expect, this entire journey has been the greatest time of my life.

Since the semester is coming to an end, I think this will be my last post abroad for Her Campus. I hope that you have enjoyed reading about my experiences as much as I’ve enjoyed sharing them, and I can’t thank you all enough for your support throughout this entire journey! 

If any of you are looking to study abroad, preparing to study abroad in the fall, or just have any general questions for me, PLEASE feel free to email me at stevensh@appstate.edu. I’m more than happy to answer any questions you have for me. 

Like always, sending my love from Belgium,

Hillary