Getting to Know Carly Taich

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

There are tons of talented musicians on the Appalachian State campus, but with her effortless voice and catchy lyrics, Carly Taich is one of the ones that is going places. 

Q: What has your Appalachian State experience been like so far?
A: It’s been interesting. Freshman year was a confusing time. I didn’t know where I fit in or what I wanted from college; in that sense, I’m a walking cliché. I changed my intended major from music to communication. This year has been pretty great. I still don’t know what I want, but now I’m okay with it!

Q: What are you studying here at ASU?
A: Advertising and minoring in French.

Q: How would you describe your music style?
A: My style is a blend of alternative/indie, pop, and folk. I’ve been told I have a jazzy voice, so I generally say (chin held high), “folk-pop with a jazzy texture.”

Q: When did you first start writing/playing music?
A: Freshman year of high school is when the hobby really took off. My first boyfriend broke up with me via text message after I got back from a music industry camp called Noise!. I responded by writing song after song about it. From then on my relationship with songwriting grew. T’was my first love all along.   

Q: What is your music career like here at ASU? Are there any shows that stick out in your mind?
A: I play shows from time to time, mostly at coffee shops and benefit concerts. I really enjoy working on projects for the future, like making music videos, websites, writing, and recording. Battle of the Bands was the coolest show I’ve done here in Boone. It was the first time I’d ever played with a band (drums, bass, violin, the whole shebang) – a band that was only two weeks old, I might add – and it was just so fun. We were the underdogs and lost, but really gained much more through it.

[pagebreak]

Q: Where do you find inspiration??
A: I often jot down the perplexing ideas running around in my head about human nature and emotions. Sometimes I take one specific personal experience and exaggerate it. Sometimes I use others’ experiences to tell a story, or I even write them in first-person – look out people, I might just write a secret song about you! I am very inspired by other musicians. The possibilities for inspiration are so endless it’s exhilarating.

Q: What are some random or interesting facts about you??
A: As a kid, I loved Michael Jackson and dubbed myself Carly Suzanne ‘Michael Jackson’ Taich.
I’m a bit of a hypochondriac (self-diagnosed, of course).
My sister, Hannah, is an ASU alumni.
When I’m not playing music, I’m drawing, painting, or reading The Hunger Games.
I sang a song for Lowes Foods called, “It’s Good for You”.

Q: What can we look forward to from you in the future?
 A: I’m working on a five-song EP right now with Alaina Latona, a recording/production major. We just finished recording, and it will be ready to release quite soon. Every so often, I will be singing back up for an awesome band from Charlotte called, “The Hot Gates”.  Other than that, I’m just going to continue to write, experiment, network, and see where the future takes me.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to add?
 Like my facebook page – Carly Taich Music, listen to some of my other original music at carlytaich.bandcamp.com and check out my new music video, “20 Hours” featured below! 

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!