This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Attention ladies: the countdown is on. The season of bathing suits and tanning oil is coming back (sooner than you think). Maybe it’s not around the corner for Boone, but you won’t be able to hide behind those oversized sweaters and high-waisted leggings for long. At least we have App’s hilly campus to keep us somewhat in shape, so take advantage of it but don’t let it be the only thing you rely on!

Most of you are probably still recovering from the holiday food coma and trying to shed a few pounds. Maybe you want to shave off that freshman 15 (or 20). Either way, you can do it! Here are a few tips to help you accomplish your goal (and NO, the solution is not to starve yourself):

1. Make fitness a priority.

“I don’t have time to workout.” I’m sure all of you are guilty of this excuse. You may think that this is a valid reason, but think about it…if you don’t stay active, you don’t have energy, and if you don’t have energy, there is not much else you can do. So change your mindset! When you have free time, use it wisely. Plan those times for working out each week.

Don’t know where to begin?

Try out fitness classes that sound of interest to you (from Ab Attack to Yoga to Aerobics, App has plenty to offer). You have an instructor guiding you and other students who are probably just as clueless as you are.

Photo Source: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fb/01/ee/fb01eedd7b54e96b0b9d0212…

2. Change your eating habits.

Be aware of what you are putting into your body and track your meals and exercises (there are apps for that ya know). Just because something is low in calories does not mean it’s healthy, so don’t be fooled. Make sure you are getting enough protein, carbohydrates, and fat; in other words, maintain a balanced diet and pay attention to portion size. If you are mainly eating junk food and filler snacks, then you know there is a problem… It’s not too late to fix it! Don’t be afraid to check out the nutrition labels on different foods; they could surprise you and might even change your mind.

Photo Source: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/47/93/bd/4793bd159b04a3f161e22e3e…

[ pagebreak ]

Suggestions:

• It helps to have a workout buddy so that you can hold each other accountable.
  • Switch up your workouts from using machines to weightlifting, according to whether you want to tone up or burn calories.
  • Go at your own pace, so that you are able to build yourself up and eventually reach a higher level of stamina. Try not to rush the process because you will most likely get discouraged and burnt out. However, if you are not challenging yourself, you are NOT doing it right.
  • Try not to weigh yourself excessively. It can be tempting, I know, especially when you have one accessible everyday, but resist the urge. Whether you have lost, maintained, or even gained weight, it’s just a number. What matters is how you feel, and trust me, you will be able to feel the difference.

So get started NOW! Do yourself a favor and set a reasonable goal (and by reasonable, I don’t mean losing 7 pounds in 7 days). Once you achieve it, this is not a signal for you to stop. Yes, I’m telling you to keep going. Like it or not, it’s up to you to stay fit.

Freshman Journalism Major at App State