Fall Break HC AppState Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Fall is one of our favorite seasons here at Her Campus AppState. Aside from the excuse to wear scarves, boots, mustard yellow, drink pumpkin spice lattes, and enjoy the changing leaves before the blizzards take over Boone, we also love this season for Fall Break!

Many of us traveled to fascinating cities and others stayed right in the comfy mountain city of Boone. Take a little gander into where the Her Campus AppState team went and how we spent time off of school. I think we all can agree Fall Break just wasn’t long enough.

Name:Laura Maddox ‘13
Her Campus Position: President / EIC of Her Campus AppState
Visited: NYC, baby!
Favorite Part:My favorite part was just being in the city. New York City is so alive and energetic! I’m a coffee addict, and NYC is full of coffee shops, so we hit up local places or Starbucks at least once a day. We also saw the play “Warhorse,” which was amazing! I recommend it to anyone who is making a visit soon! I heart NYC. 

Photo by: Katie Strasser
Name:Katie Strasser ‘12
Her Campus Position: Staff Writer
Visited: I went home to the Raleigh area to spend time with my family and go to the NC State Fair! I also visited my brother who is a freshman at Chapel Hill and went to the UNC/Miami game with him. 
Favorite Part:Walking around the State Fair looking at giant pumpkins, terrifying rides, and eating deep fried cookie dough. Plus, we had perfect fall weather which made everything ten times better.

Jessie Reda holds a penny with the Lincoln Memorial behind during her trip to Washington D.C.
Name:Jessie Reda ‘12
Her Campus Position: Assistant Publicity Director
Visited: Washington D.C.
Favorite Part:My friends and I woke up at 6:30 on Sunday morning to get tickets to the fall garden tours at the White House. The garden tours only happen 4 times a year (twice in the fall and twice in the spring). We got to go into the South Lawn of the White House and see the rose garden, Jacqueline Kennedy Garden, and vegetable garden. We were so close the White House! It was so awesome!

[pagebreak]

Name:Lena Aloumari ‘13
Her Campus Position: Editor
Visited: State College, PA (home of Penn State University)
Favorite Part:Seeing one of my closest friends and being in the town for their homecoming weekend… there was just SO much to do! (But I think I enjoyed going to the football game the most!)

Name:Melissa Vega ‘12
Her Campus Position: Staff Writer
Visited: Oral Doctor in Boone, NC
Favorite Part:Since I got my wisdom teeth removed over Fall Break, I had an excuse to eat endless amounts of Ben & Jerry’s strawberry cheesecake ice cream, watch Friday Night Lights on Netflix, and catch up on my sleep! Not so much of a favorite part…looking like a chipmunk!

Name:Grace Adams ‘12
Her Campus Position: PR Team
Visited: Charleston, SC for the AppState vs. Citadel game! We won!
Favorite Part:I got to have dinner at my all time favorite restaurant, Poogan’s Porch (on Queen Street) with my boyfriend and then we had dessert by the battery. It is the best food in the whole world! Definitely try the pork three ways or the sweet tea glazed salmon, they’re to die for!  AppState’s win wasn’t a bad addition either!

Name:Laureston Hawley ‘14
Her Campus Position: PR Team
Visited: NCSU to visit best friend/Her Campus NCSU writer, Misha Tobar
Favorite Part:Misha is a part of an Asian sorority interest group called FAE which hosted a stoplight mixer with the Asian fraternity interest group, The Paper Boys. So naturally I attended, danced my but off, and took a lot of fun pictures at their photo booth.

Name:Brittany Fielding ‘13
Her Campus Position: Staff Writer
Visited: Stayed in Boone, NC
Favorite Part:Making a lot of money before my trip to NYC next week!

Name:Morgan Jones ‘14
Her Campus Position: Marketing Team
Visited: Raleigh, NC (Home Sweet Home)
Favorite Part:Crafting for my new littles in my sorority!

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!