This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I have never really thought of myself as a feminist, and even now – when I face being called one on the daily – I still don’t. Looking back on things, I guess my passion for equality hit a high when I entered college. 

On one of the first few days of the fall semester, I was standing in line at the ATM, minding my own business. That’s when a group of boys approached me and asked if I “took the pipe.” Um, excuse me? I couldn’t believe what I had heard. I expected this behavior from old, horny men who didn’t have anything better to do, but certainly not from young, intelligent and educated 20 year olds. 

I was disgusted by this behavior, and realized that I probably wasn’t the only girl who had faced a situation like this. It was this incident that got me really interested in equality. America prides itself on being the land of the free, yet tons of women face oppression every day. 

And I’m not only talking about the ridiculous catcalling and antics that I faced… I’m talking about multiple shocking and quite scary things that our society condones….

What about misogynistic commercials and advertising that degrade women, that rarely face any backlash from society? 

What about the fact that women no longer get to make simple decisions about their body, like if they can get an abortion?

What about the fact that women are constantly sexualized, but at the same time slut shamed?

What about the fact that women are being discriminated against in the workplace, solely based on their gender – not their abilities or how much they contribute, but rather their vagina? 

What about the fact that 1 out of every 6 women have been a victim of rape?

When I express my feelings about this matter, many people shy away or look at me differently. Why is it so wrong for me to want simple rights and respect for myself and other women just like me? This double-standard in society has got to stop. 

So, I challenge you collegiettes. I challenge you all to pick each other up, rather than adding to the oppression. I challenge you to stand up for yourself. I challenge you to test the boundaries that have been placed on you, and to never let a man – or anyone – tell you that you are incapable. I challenge you to use the F-word, and to be proud of it. Feminism, that is. 

Take the pledge — http://addfeminism.vitaminw.co