Dos and Don’ts of Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Are you sure you are ready to embark on what will surely be the experience of a lifetime?  The semester or year abroad might by far be one of the most beneficial experiences for a college student. Here is a list of dos and don’ts to help lead you on a path to appreciate the few precious months to get to know a city or country, and how to make the most of it.

When it comes to food:

Do: Try everything! When you study abroad you will find incredible new foods. When going out to eat, have everyone order something different so you can sample several dishes.

Don’t: Count calories. We all do it, but not when you have this one opportunity. Treat yourself; you can work it all off when you get home. Plus, everyone abroad walks everywhere so you are practically burning everything off…right?

Do: Try to learn to cook like the locals. Grocery stores can be intimidating but it’s a great way to get to know how families do their shopping and prepare meals during the week. Plus cooking is healthier and less expensice than always going out!

Don’t: Feel like you have to go out all the time. IT’S OKAY to stay in. It can be fun to spend a night in and experiment with foods that you can cook together. Also, by splitting the coast of cooking a meal and groceries you save money! (Another plus: there’s leftovers.)

When it comes to shopping:

Do: Buy things that are unique. When doing your shopping abroad, make sure you buy things that you can wear regularly that tell a story. 

Don’t: Buy something basic you can buy back home.

That simple H&M t-shirt probably isn’t a necessity. Save your money for items that will give your wardrobe more pop and sass! Besides you’re a world traveler now, you deserve something that adds to your new life experiences.

Do: Window shop. It’s okay to stand in front of the Prada window for hours a day dreaming about the day you’ll be dazzled up in designer clothing.

Don’t: Spend all your money at once when you first arrive. The minute you land, it will be difficult to stay away from street markets and vendors. You will see plenty of souvenir trinkets that look like great gifts but it will be in your best interest to let the jet lag set in and get your mind straight.

When it comes to travelling:

Do: Get to know the city you’re in. You are getting a once in a life time opportunity to actually experience what it would be like LIVING in a different culture, not just being a tourist. Take advantage of the time given to you by fully diving into the city’s culture you’re living in.

Don’t: Plan every second. The biggest reason you should consider a study abroad program is the opportunity to see the world. By studying abroad, you will experience a new country with incredible new outlooks, customs and activities. The benefits of studying abroad include the opportunity to see new terrains, natural wonders, museums and landmarks of your host nation. So be spontaneous and see where your travels take you!

Do: Take chances and get out of your comfort zone. You already took the first step in going abroad so don’t stop now! Keep taking chances and doing things that you could never do back home!

Don’t: Say no to adventures. Say yes, frequently. Jump at every new experience that comes your way. Hold off on forming an opinion later, that way you’ll have a regret-free study abroad experience. Sometimes you just have to dive head first into new things!