Do’s and Don’ts of Dressing Up for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

To quote Mean Girls – “In the regular world, Halloween is when children dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” Even though Cady Heron hit the nail on the head with this one, Halloween is also about the pure joy one gets from dressing up as someone totally new for the night. In order to have the greatest Halloween ever, read these do’s and don’ts to dressing up!

1.     DO get creative!

Stand out from the Ke$has and slutty nurses with an outfit that’s all your own! Unique costumes are a must, and DIY-ing will win you extra cuteness points. Stray from the normal Halloween ideas and pick something original, like an up and coming celeb or an inanimate object. Some of my favorites are a loofah sponge, a twister board, or an avatar!

2.     DON”T be sleazy.

Ladies, we all have that one guy who’s caught our attention, and now we want to capture his eye with a kick a** costume. However, this does not mean less is more! Showing up to a party half naked is not attractive, so keep the skin showing to a minimum. If your knight in shining armor is the right guy for you, he’ll dig your creativity and class!

3.     DO partner up!

Whether it’s a couple’s or a big group costume, this is a fun way to team up with your buds to come up with a great idea for your next Halloween bash. Couple’s costumes are always a winner for you and your beau, especially when you choose a famous celebrity couple or an inseparable pair like peanut butter and jelly. Dressing up in a group is awesome too, so pick a famous band like the Spice Girls or family like the Brady Bunch!

4.     DON’T spend a ton of money.

As a college student, money is tight, so a Halloween costume may seem way out of your budget. However, thrift shops like Goodwill and chain discount stores like Wal-Mart are gold mines for holiday shopping that is easy on your wallet! Take a trip to your nearest budget-friendly store and stock up. You can brainstorm while shopping too!

Listen to this list for a perfect costume and a perfect night! Happy Halloween collegiettes!

I'm a junior Hospitality and Tourism Management major with a knack for writing. I can't get through the day without at least two cups of coffee and scrolling through my inspirational quotes pinboard.