The Do’s and Don’ts to Any Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

We are all guilty of having a moment when we sit back and question whether we acted like “that crazy girl.”  The crazy girl is the one at the bar who pours a drink on her ex boyfriend because he’s talking to a new girl or tells a guy she loves him after the first date.  Crazy right?  The times the crazy really comes out to play is right after a bad breakup or any type of breakup, really.  A breakup can turn any perfectly sane girl to needing to be committed.  Here are the Do’s and Don’ts on the best ways to keep the crazy in check after one of those breakups.

DO: Delete Him off of Social Media:  Social media is like a gateway drug for girls.  If you see your ex guy with a girl in a Snapchat story, or heaven forbid posting an Instagram photo with another girl, I can guarantee any girl will fight the urge to hunt him down (Ben and Jerry’s pint in hand).  So in order to prevent this type of mortifying embarrassment just go ahead hit him with the un-follow.

DON’T: Drunk Text: If this requires blocking his number feel free to do it, because there is nothing more desperado then an “i mi$s uyo” text at 3 am.  Showing self restraint shows that you are attempting to move on (even if your aren’t).  Plus when he doesn’t respond, because he won’t, it’s like facing the breakup all over again.  Don’t do that to yourself.

DON’T: Start Dating Someone New Because You’re Lonely:  It’s easy after a breakup to latch onto the first guy who gives you attention.  Being in a relationship you’re used to having attention from your guy all the time and afterwards the silence of your non-existent text messages can be deafening.  Rebound all you want, but do not confuse a rebound guy with a potential boyfriend.

DO: Hang Out With Your Girlfriends:  More than likely your girlfriends were getting the cold shoulder while you were in the throws of your relationship.  However, now is the time to make up for that.  Have a movie night, wine night, or big night out (any type of night will due).  Catching up and spending time with your girlfriends will remind you what you had to miss out on while dating your ex guy.  Plus, girlfriends will always remind you that you can do soooo much better, and you’ll always be the one who got away.  There’s nothing better than positive reinforcement. 

DON’T: Don’t Eat Yourself Into a Food Coma:  Even though an IV of queso and an XL pizza seems like the immediate answer to any breakup it’s not.  Eating yourself into oblivion will only make you feel fat and sluggish, therefore more sad.  Hit the gym and work out all of that anger and frustration.  In the wise words of Legally Blonde, “Exercise gives you endorphins.  Endorphins make you happy.  Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands (ex-boyfriends).”

DrunkText Breakup GirlsNight LegallyBlonde