This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Recently, controversy has struck not only Appalachian, but North Carolina as a whole, as racial tensions have boiled over in nearly every sense of the word.

Last Wednesday, here in Boone protest groups clashed over the right to defend their freedom of speech versus what to do when free speech becomes hate speech. From Anti-Semitic messages to racist slurs written in chalk, what started out as Pro-Trump movement quickly degraded into vile, dehumanizing vandalism, according to some protesters.

There were numerous clashes between the opposing groups that resulted in a direct address from the Chancellor herself. In an email addressed to the student body, Everts encouraged App State as a whole to represent themselves in a positive and encouraging manner, stating:

At Appalachian, we staunchly support free speech and academic freedom. We encourage our community to debate vigorously, challenge and defend ideas, and advocate for your positions. At the same time, we must hold one another accountable to do so in a manner that does not demean, vilify or attack the humanity of [other] community members. In a democratic society, we often experience a clash of ideas, but no one is “less than” anyone else. To attempt winning an argument by endeavoring to marginalize others kills intelligent discourse and is an affront to true democracy. I encourage each member of our community to hold fast to their ideals and beliefs, and in doing so, respect the humanity and individual value of others. As we move forward together, let us accept the challenge to embrace our best selves.”

While this was a reiteration of what she stated last year when similar instances occurred, it’s clear that the message is still relevant, and the safety and promotion of an inclusive environment on campus is still a priority for administration.

App State administration has often come under-fire for a lack of response, so many students praised the actions of the Chancellor in responding in such a manner and taking the time to directly address the issue that is so prominent on campus today. Other student organizations, such as The Ambassadors and Greek Life, gathered to combat the negativity by chalking positive messages in efforts to denounce some of the negative ideas.

However, others claim that this action by administration is not enough, and that a copy and pasted message from last year isn’t a stance for change at all, but a cop out from the highest level. While Appalachian is now boasting its most diverse freshman class in history, some argue that the amount of genuinely inclusive programming and support from administration has fallen incredibly short of credible expectations. They critique board of educators that sides with what they call “hate speech” written on campus, and some have given up on having true administrative support in fostering a truly inclusive community due to the history of underwhelming official response.

No matter what your opinion is on the issue, it is clear that this controversy isn’t going to fade away anytime soon.

In an effort to create a better campus environment, it is important that we all take the time to truly listen and understand the opinions that are being shared before making any snap judgements. It is truly difficult to approach a situation as tumultuous as this one without having any biases, but it is important to remember that we should respect each other all the same.

Take a moment to assess yourself in this situation, and remember that your actions in tense times like these matter all the more. Within us all is the opportunity to make a change and impact the world around us. So work hard to make our world a better place.

Overall, I believe Steve Goodier, author and speaker, said it best when he stated:

“After you are gone, people may forget most of what you have said and done. But they will remember that you loved them.”