Catching Up with MykeyT, ASU’s own Internet Sensation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name:MykeyT (aka Michael Taylor)
Age:20
Year:Junior
Major:Double majoring in Marketing and Management
Hometown:Asheville, N.C.

Currently, with over 28,000 views, MyKeyT’s “Party in Boone” exploded onto everyone’s Facebook news feed and Twitter dashboard over winter break.  Whether you liked it or not, it was still exhilarating to see our very own campus as the backdrop for his video!

Since this campus celeb is an internet sensation, we had to mix it up a little bit by doing a video interview! Check it out below and keep reading for some questions that didn’t make the cut:

How do you balance your college career with your music?
I manage my time, stay focused and work hard. When you’re double majoring and working a job, you don’t have much free time. But it’s easy to balance it all since I produce my own music. All I have to do is walk into my closet and I can make music.

What advice would you give to people that want to pursue a career in music?
It just depends on what you want to do with music. I can’t tell you how to be a rapper. But anybody these days can make music. So it’s hard to pursue music as an artist. All I can say is I love music, and if you do what you love then the rest will fall into place.

What’s your favorite thing about Appalachian State?
I like how it’s similar to my hometown Asheville. I love the mountains and all the people are cool. There are so many different people and opportunities at App that make Boone a fun place to be. 

Who are your most influential artists?
I listened to people like Eminem, 2Pac, Biggie, Busta Rhymes and even Lil Wayne when I was younger.  But I’m more influenced by people like Master P and Diddy who mastered the business end and by people like Mac Miller and Tyler the Creator, who are opening doors for independent artists in the music industry. 

What’s next for MyKeyT? 
I’d like to have a mixtape out soon that’s hosted by a big name DJ. I’m working on getting more shows here at App as well as other schools and I’m always putting out new music. I love doing this and I’m going to be at App a couple more years so there’s a lot more of MyKeyT to come.

Stay updated on MyKeyT by liking his Facebook Page.

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!