Breaking Into The Boys Club: Meet Andrea Miller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Meet Andrea Miller 

Celeb Status: Breaking into the boys club

Major: Communication Studies

Year: Junior

Hometown: Hickory, North Carolina

Hobbies: Being with amazing friends, fly fishing, hiking, reading, and watching basketball of course!

Andrea Miller is currently a third year communication studies major with a focus in sports broadcasting. When she’s not studying hard, she’s representing Alpha Phi on the executive council as PanHellenic Delegate. 

Q: What is the 2015 MIT Sloan Sports Broadcasting Convention?

A: MIT, the university, puts on this event for people who are interested in sports analytics. The application for ESPN required me to be at the event and I got a student ticket for the event! 

Q: How are you “breaking into the boys club” and what exactly does that mean?

A: Breaking into the boys club essentially means I want to do more than the typical woman on the sidelines job. I want to do color commentary which is mainly a man’s job for ESPN and call men’s college basketball games from start to finish. Not just a 30 second blurb before commercials. 

Q: So what exactly is this convention about and how does this affect you?

A: At the convention I was able to attend panels held by some of the sports world elite such as Shane Battier and Adam Silver. I also had the opportunity to meet and interview with ESPN for a potential summer internship with the network. So keep your fingers crossed!

Q: What was the highlight of the entire convention?

A: The weekend was both intellectually stimulating as we discussed the newest sports analytic methods and physically challenging. However I have to say playing one-on-one with Sue Bird, a WNBA player, was probably my highlight. All in all, this was an amazing opportunity and solidified that I want to work in the sports broadcasting field once I graduate college. 

Q: What inspired you to want to pursue sports broadcasting?

A: I love sports, watching and playing, and hope to one-day work for ESPN as a men’s college basketball analyst.  My dream is to “break into the boys club” and give color commentary during basketball games (typically this job is done by men.)