This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

School is out for the summer for (most) collegiettes, but some lucky ladies are spending their summer months hanging around our favorite mountain town. Whether these collegiettes are sticking around for class, work, or other obligations, there’s still plenty of fun to be had here in the high country. Before August comes, try to check some of these fun activities off your Summer Boonie bucket list:

1. Go Go-Karting at Fun-n-Wheels

Fun-n-Wheels is only open in the summer, so take advantage of this exclusive activity!

2. Eat at Hill Top Drive-In

This hole-in-the-wall spot offers delicious burgers, dogs, barbeque, fries and more for great prices. The outside doesn’t look like much, but upon entering collegiettes are immediately swept into the sweet charm of a small town diner. This cool spot is located down on West King Street, less than a mile past Galilio’s. Definitely try their curly fries!

3. Take Advantage of the Appalachian Summer Festival

On June 27th, Kasey Musgraves is coming to perform an outdoor fireworks concert at Kid Brewer stadium, and on July 18th, the Beach Boys are coming to the Convocation Center. Learn more about these events and other cool summer concerts here.

4. Catch an outdoor movie at Honey Bear Campgrounds

Every Saturday night throughout the summer, Honey Bear Campgrounds shows an outdoor movie on a giant screen at dusk (around 8:30). Grab your girlfriends and a blanket and snuggle under the stars for a great outdoor flick.

5. Embrace your inner child at Tweetsie Railroad

Tweetsie is another location that is primarily open in the summer, and should be taken advantage of now! Tweetsie is full of fun rides, food, shops and shows that provide fun for all ages. 

6. Have fun in the air at High Gravity Adventures

High Gravity Adventures is located right next to Tweetsie in their parking lot, but is actually a different adventure all together! It is essentially an “Aerial Park” which the website describes as “a playground in the air.” This is the perfect experience for those who aren’t afraid of heights! Find out more information at their website.

7. Get your dog-fix at the Watauga Humane Society

The Watauga Humane society offers collegiettes the opportunity to visit the shelter and walk any dog at any time during their operational hours. Walking these friendly pups not only provides fun and exercise for the dog, but for the collegiette as well!

8. Leap off a Waterfall

Did you even go to App if you graduate without visiting one of our beautiful surrounding waterfalls? If you have the courage, many of these waterfalls have deep pools that adventurers enjoy jumping into. During the summer, many of these waterfalls are frequented by experienced Boonies who will gladly show visitors the safest place to jump from. Try visiting Trashcan Falls or Compression Falls soon!

(pictured: Compression Falls) 

Katy Huis

App State

Katy Huis is a Junior Elementary Education Major studying at Appalachian State University in Boone, NC. She enjoys reading, writing, eating and talking. She finds enjoyment in children, animals and her family and friends.