The Battle Between Black and Gold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Arguably the biggest game of the season, this Saturday our Mountaineers will play the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. The Deacons are 1-0 in their conference and 3-0 overall. Comparing the average points per game, yardage and other stats with WFU, the Mountaineers are up against a team that is equal to it’s own.

Personally, it’s super exciting to see my Mountaineers play big name ACC teams, like Wake. I feel like the promotion of the game helps increase the awareness of this amazing place we call home, as well as our team, of course!! It provides a lot of opportunity and room for growth for the school and athletics!

Speaking of home, it’s kinda ironic who we’re up against next…especially because both school colors are black and gold…

I was born and raised in Winston, which if you didn’t know, is home of the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Growing up, I attended a few football games, a ton of soccer games and a large portion of my middle school and high school summers were spent at the WFU volleyball camp. So you could say that I was an avid supporter of the Demon Deacons, the athletics at that school really had an impact on my brother and I. Even though I feel an obligation to cheer for Wake for all those years of molding my athletic career, I’m not confident I can abandon who my heart is telling me to pull for,

MY MOUNTAINEERS.

Think of it like this, you watch Clemson play because it’s your dad’s alma mater, but if it came down to it, you’d cheer for App because it’ll be your alma mater one day. It’s like with me, Wake was a huge part of growing up, but Appalachian State will always feel more like home. I mean, I am getting my degree from this school so I better support anything and everything that involves ASU. Ultimately, this weekend is going to be exciting for our school. Playing big name teams like Wake just shows how popular and desirable this school is growing into.

So Saturday, I will be wearing my black and gold.

But it’ll be for my Mountaineers.

Good luck to the team.

ROLL ‘NEERS!

Sources:

http://www.appstatesports.com/images/2017/9/11/AppStatevsWF_1_.jpg 

https://d3m7xw68ay40x8.cloudfront.net/assets/2016/09/01152532/ASU-football.jpg 

Jaden is a Senior at Appalachian State as a Communication major with a focus in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. Currently, she serves as  Campus Expansion Assistant for Her Campus Nationals. She is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and serves on multiple committees of her chapter. Jaden interned with Susan G. Komen Northwest NC Summer 2016 as the Special Events Intern. She is currently a Campus Expansion Assistant and Region Leader for Her Campus Nationals. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her friends, playing with puppies, surfing pinterest for new DIY projects, and taking long naps. Her dream job is to be the next Erin Andrews and work as an ESPN Broadcaster for the NFL.