neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Back To School Tips To Ensure Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Being back on campus for the school year means a fresh start for the academic semester. With your brand new ‘Day Designer’ planner in hand, an iced coffee in the other, and an ambitious spirit, you feel determined that you will ace all of your classes. While this is all great, there are still a few simple rules you can follow to almost guarantee this success.

1. Sleep

Sleep is so underrated. How do you expect to perform at your best when your body physically can’t allow you to? Getting a full 8 hours every night may seem unattainable, but it is a simple task that can ensure you the energy to complete your homework and the alertness to study effectively. Plus, how much would it suck to stay up all night studying for a test and end up missing it the next morning because you are too tired to get up?

2. Office Hours

Odds are, you are going to have a class where the material proves to be difficult. Utilizing your professor’s office hours, usually found on the syllabus, is a key to favorable grades. Not only will you get one-on-one time with your professor, but you will also show your professor that you care. This may help in a situation where you may be one point away from a higher letter grade. Professors like to see effort.

3. Time Management

So many college students fail to manage their time wisely. While many other aspects of your life may be important, such as your social life or extracurriculars, prioritize your schoolwork. This may mean having to turn down an invite to go out with your friends when you have an important test the next day. It will pay off in the long run. There will always be opportunities to socialize, but your grades determine your future. Learn to say ‘no’.

4.  GO TO CLASS

This is capitalized for a reason. By not going to class, you are not only showing your professor that you don’t care, but also missing out on important material. In addition to this, most professors have some system of taking attendance that will usually have an impact on your final grade. It may seem pointless to go to an early morning lecture where the professor reads off of a powerpoint, but see it as a part of the learning process. Professors include test hints in their lectures that you would miss by just reading the powerpoints online.

By implementing these four tips, there is no doubt you are capable of reaching your academic goals. Best of luck this semester!