Anxiety Answers for the Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

We all know what it feels like to be stressed out. You have a million assignments due, a test tomorrow, two loads of laundry waiting to be washed, and you can’t remember the last time you got a good night’s rest. The freak out mode begins, and the next thing you know, you’re too stressed out to even begin your long to do list. Thankfully, you aren’t alone! Countless girls across the country are experiencing the same kind of anxiety.

Why do I feel this way?

Have you ever taken a step back and wondered when it got so hard to handle the everyday stresses of life? Why did things seem so much easier in high school? These questions can be answered by two words: Transition and pressure.

Transition – We are now at a point in our lives where we can no longer be considered children. For the most part, we live on our own, cook our own meals, and rely on ourselves to get through our everyday problems. This is an exciting time in our lives and also a stressful one. Rather than only thinking about Friday night football, school dances, and not getting along with your parents, we have to add on the stress of deciding majors, paying the bills, graduating on time, and finding a job. There is a lot on the plate of a college girl!

Pressure – The idea that making a bad grade will stop us from getting the job we want constantly looms over any collegiette’s head. We are expected to not only juggle our new found adulthood, but also countless assignments, papers, internships, and extracurricular activities. It’s easy to forget about other important things such as a good night’s rest, eating healthy, and having time for yourself. 

[pagebreak]

How do I relieve anxiety?

Avoid soda and coffee – It’s hard to imagine life without these tasty treats, isn’t it? Having one of these drinks before a stressful event such as a test or speech can leave you feeling nervous, distracted, and jittery. I know it’s hard, but if you have a big test tomorrow, I would stick to bottled water. You will feel calmer and more prepared for the task in front of you. 

Make sure to eat full meals – In the middle of an intense study session, it’s so easy to just skip over a meal. Don’t do it! Not eating enough can make you feel light headed, unfocused, and tired. Not to mention your stomach growling is quite the distraction from school work!

Get a good night’s rest – I know this has been crammed into our brains since elementary school, but it’s true! Trying to take a test or complete a difficult task while not getting a decent amount of sleep can leave you confused and unable to focus, which adds even more stress. Even if you skip bed time to study, it may not pay off in the end. My advice – always make sure you get a full eight hours. With a well rested mind, you will be able to think more clearly and stay focused on your busy, busy lifestyle.

Make time for yourself – This is so important. As a college student, it’s so easy to find yourself in the library every night and not allowing yourself “me time.” I would encourage all girls to take at least 30 minutes a day to do whatever you enjoy most. It can be anything – painting, reading your favorite book, taking a bubble bath, napping, or anything else you can imagine!  Do something that takes your mind off what you’re stressed about; I can guarantee you will feel more at ease when it’s time to get back to work.  

Stress is an unavoidable aspect of life, but that does not mean it has to define your 4 wonderful years at school! Relax, take a deep breath, and face your time in college head on with an optimistic outlook. 

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!