free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Tips for Acing Your Next Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As a working student myself, I must say that having a little extra money in your pocket is a great feeling. Also, as a senior in college, I hope to become employed after I graduate next May. It’s jobs that make the world go round, and we will all experience a job interview someday. So whether it’s a part-time job at a local restaurant, an internship at a big company, or even a full-time job after graduation, here are some little tips to leave a big impression during your interview! 

1. Write an Awesome Resume and Cover Letter: The resume you submit to an employer is the first impression that they have of you; therefore make it a good one! As students of Appalachian State, we are lucky enough to have some great resources for writing resumes and cover letters that are up to par. Check out the ASU Career Development Center and get to work on your resume now! There are tips online to help you, as well as one-on-one counseling and resume editing. Drop-In for a 15-minute meeting, M-F, 2-4pm in 369 John Thomas Hall!

2. Dress to Impress: Rule #1 of dressing for an interview, you can never look too professional. You can, however, look too unprofessional. Stick with solid colors, if possible, and nothing too loud or bright. Earth tones, navy, gray, and black are colors that display obedience and are likely to keep your interviewer focused on you, instead of being distracted by your diverting threads. Make up should be light and modest, and tattoos should be completely covered if possible. When it comes to nail polish, keep it simple. A clean French manicure or a nice red polish are classy and traditional, while neon green with sparkles may not be your employer’s favorite shade. Wait until you are hired to break out the bold Essie and OPI’s, for now, I would stick to what is subtle.

3. Do Your Homework: Research the company that you are applying for. It doesn’t matter if it’s a small cafe downtown, or a large-scale corporation. You’re likely to win extra brownie points with the employer if you learn about what you are getting yourself into. 

4. Anticipate Your Arrival Time Carefully: I know, I know, it seems like a given but if you are anything like me (naturally late for everything), this is a key factor to remember when it comes time to be interviewed. There are many things to take into consideration when it comes to good timing: What’s the distance from here to there? Is there a possibility for traffic or roadwork? Do you need to stop for gas? It seems a little silly to consider these things seriously, however, when you have the pre-interview jitters, there’s a good chance that certain [important] things are forgotten!

5. Turn Your Phone Off: This one speaks for itself, phones have gotten more and more high-tech as of lately, so how do you actually know that it will not beep, buzz, or ring while you are conversing with a potential employer? You don’t. Even vibrate can cause a disturbance, so spare yourself the trouble and just turn it off for the half hour that you spend in your interview. 

6. Maintain Good Eye Contact: During your interview, it is important to remember to focus on who you are speaking to. An interviewer is likely to go over some important information about your potential, future job, and you’ll want to not only pay attention, but also show them that you are interested. 

7. Have Your Schedule Written Down: This tip steers more toward the part-time job seekers out there; it is important to know exactly what your availability times are for the job you are applying to. There is a good chance the employer will ask you about your weekly schedule, and by having it written down (where you can access it quickly) shows that you are serious and prepared for this employment opportunity.

8. Ask Questions During the Interview:  It seems like a strange concept, but employers are interested in what YOU want to know about the company. Keep the questions professional and about the actual job at hand. Know your boundaries though and do not go into personals… that’s awkward. 

9. Be Yourself: One of my favorite, and very true, clichés! It goes without saying; the employer is interested in the person sitting across from them, not a fake person! If you succeed in landing this interview, you might be working for this employer for a very long time so it makes sense to just go ahead and be yourself now. By being real and genuine, you are likely to be happier in your workplace and your coworkers are likely to like you more than if you were fake.