The 8 Best Songs to Get You Through the End of Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Trying to savor these last moments of the season filled with suntans, beach trips and endless starry nights, but faced with scary thoughts of school? Summer may be over, but you can hold on to all that sunny happiness thanks to this list of songs that capture every perfect aspect of summer, from all across the decades.  

1.     Bang Bang, Jessi J, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj

This immediate chart topper includes two powerhouse voices in Jessie J and newcomer Ariana Grande as well as the spunk of rapper Nicki Minaj. It’s upbeat, catchy, and is easily stuck in your head. What’s not to love?

2.     Stay With Me, Sam Smith

Okay, maybe this isn’t your average summer song, but I can’t get over the sweetness of the lyrics and the suaveness of Sam Smith’s voice. You can’t listen to this sweet ballad and not want to curl upon a cloudy September morning with a cuddle buddy – animal or otherwise.  

3.     American Kids, Kenny Chesney

This one is guaranteed to hit home with your inner free spirit. A far cry from his usual down home country songs, Kenny Chesney gives us a little taste of his new sound. This rhythmic beat is so easy to sing along to, that you can’t help but find yourself following along with the radio.  

4.     Fever, the Black Keys

The Black Keys, one of my all time favorites, showed the world they were still around when they released this tune and their album, Turn Blue, back in May. It welcomes a change of pace for the group but still holds true to their long lasting jams. Listen to this when laying out on a beach towel soaking up the early September sunshine.  

5.     BO$$, Fifth Harmony

In this age of Beyoncé and powerful women everywhere, Fifth Harmony has embraced their femininity and broke through the barriers of the music business as a chart topping all-female group. Their song “Bo$$” is all about the ladies taking charge and thinking “like a man.” The music video even opens with the saying “dreams don’t work unless you do.” You go, girls.   

6.     Day Drinking, Little Big Town

From the fun little group that brought us a mountain-centered anthem in “Boonedocks”,  Little Big Town follows up with a catchy tune about a quintessential sunny day activity. So pull up a chair, crack open a brew (if you are of age, please) and bask in the hometown sound of these country superstars.

7.     Young Fathers, Typhoon

Typhoon is unique to the music world because it boasts ten fully involved members, a huge difference from the usual four or five. This song, although filled with lyrics about growing up in the real world, is surprisingly light and youthful. It’s the perfect song for relaxing on a brisk, late summer day.

8.     Forever Young, Rod Stewart

Come on, this is given. For the time of year when even the oldest folks feel like teenagers, this 80’s tune is bursting with deep advice for staying youthful. It is a great song to blast while driving and singing at the top of your lungs. 

I'm a junior Hospitality and Tourism Management major with a knack for writing. I can't get through the day without at least two cups of coffee and scrolling through my inspirational quotes pinboard.