5 Books to Read Before They Hit Theaters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Don’t let dull textbook reading bring you down this semester! Make time in your schedule for entertaining books that you can eventually see on the big screen. The best part about reading a book is knowing it will be a page-turner before it even starts. When you know that the book will be made into a movie, you can’t lose (usually). We know that most of the time, the book will be a hundred times better than the movie portrayal. Many written stories are being brought to the movies this school year, so get ahead of the game and read the story before it hits theaters! Here are a few of my favorites that are in production:

1. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
This book is both romance and tragedy wrapped into one. The story is about a teenage boy and a teenage girl who meet in a support group for cancer patients. After spending much time together, they begin a romantic relationship that any reader can connect with. This book will have you turning the pages all night, and maybe shedding a tear or two.
Movie release: Valentine’s Day, 2014

[pagebreak]

2. Divergent by Veronica Roth
This is the first book in the Divergent series. The third and final book of this series is scheduled to be released this fall. Divergent is set in a futuristic society where the population is split into five factions based on their values and personalities. These books are packed with both passion and action, and some say that they can be seen as the next Hunger Games of our time.
Movie release: March 21st, 2014

[pagebreak]

3. Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
A single mother who can be described as a workaholic finds out her teenage daughter has committed suicide at her high school. Though evidence says otherwise, the mother does not believe her daughter has committed suicide and that there is more to the story. By going through her daughter’s past and finding clues, you will be following the mystery along with the mother. This page-turner keeps you guessing so that you can solve the mystery for yourself.
Movie release: Unknown, in production for HBO

[pagebreak]

4. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Another mystery novel, this story takes you into the life of Amy Dunne and the unclear events of what caused her death. All characters will be suspects and the plot twists and turns will keep you hooked until the very end.
Movie release: 2015

[pagebreak]

5. The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
Sutter is a typical high school senior who lives “in the now” when he meets Aimee who is motivated, driven and has hopes for the future. This quirky, high school love story will keep you drawn to Sutter and Aimee’s relationship and the realistic take on young love.
Movie release: December 5th, 2013

Hurry up and start reading before these great books hit the big screen!

Senior Advertising major, Art minor at Appalachian State University.
Senior Marketing and Management major at App State.