101 on Wine Part II: Red Wine

Posted -

You’ve gotten a little insight about white wine from 101 on Wine Part I: White Wine, now I would like to introduce you to part II for you to gain a little knowledge about red wine. I guarantee a glass of wine will become more enjoyable once you know a little thing or two. Forget about being intimidated, wine will open doors to your palette, dining experience, and your mind. Become just a little classier with your glass of red wine.

Here are a handful of red wines that you may enjoy. Like I said before, I am no expert at all, but surely we can learn about the art that is wine together. I’ve added pronunciations this time around, just in case!

Red Wine
Welcome to the elegant and flavorful world of red wines! Red wines are made from red grapes whereas white wines can be made from a variety of grapes because the juices are almost always clear. Red wines can be described by their “body-type.” The lighter the body type (light-bodied) the less presence it will make on the palette, making it feel more like water in the mouth. Typically the more bodied the wine, the more alcohol it contains and the heavier it feels on your palette.

wine1. Cabernet Sauvignon
(cah-burr-NAY saw-vee-NYONH)
This wine can also be known as the “undisputed king of red wines” because it is the most recognized and produced in all wine producing countries. These wines have flavors and aromas of dark berry, plum, and black cherry and since this wine is aged in oak barrels, flavors of spice and vanilla are apparent as well. When pairing food with Cabernet Sauvignon, it goes well with bitter dark chocolate, cheddar, mozzarella, and brie cheese, along with fatty red meats such as lamb.

2. Merlot
(mehr-LOW)
This is definitely the classic red wine. Unlike Cabernets, Merlots are plumper and softer with sweet-fruit flavors such as cherry and red or black fruit and tend to have a medium-body. Merlot is one of the more popular red wines and sits behind Cabernet Sauvignon for most grown in acres. Cabernet-like Merlots pair well with grilled and charred meat while the softer, fruitier Merlots goes well with salmon and shellfish.

Comments