Women Wearing the Pants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

When I say women wear the pants these days, I mean it. Ladies are wearing pantsuits and menswear-inspired pieces left and right. I LOVE IT. When I find a fellow female in the men’s section (or little boy’s) shopping for themselves, I want to hug them.  Even the men’s fashion bloggers have had to bow down to the greatness of a woman in pants. Take for instance, the men at The Style Blogger* who have had sprinkled in menswear-inspired editorials here and there. 

What makes the perfect women’s outfit inspired by the men? I have no idea, but if you do, let me know. I will admit to writing my college application essay in part about my love of a good suit. Perhaps, it’s the tailoring and simplicity that enthralls me or, maybe, the subtle details. Whatever IT is, I’m in it for the long haul, folks. Oh, and what could possibly be better than a tie or a pocket square? Don’t even get me started on socks. Chuck Bass, where are you when a girl needs you? Wait, what am I saying…who needs men when you have ladies like Esther Quek or Janelle Monáe. 

I know all I’ve done is blab about how awesome ladies in pants are, but can I get an AMEN! All right. And in keeping with a sprezzatura attitude, take it from the Italians. I’m serious; they really know what they are doing. Take a peak at The Sartorialist** during men’s fashion week in Milan or Florence. 

I’m going to stop here before I go on a tangent that never ends. I’m sure there is something more productive to be done than ransacking the internet for women in pants. Do you have a favorite menswear piece? Are you casual or on that suit and tie snickerdoodle that JT and Jay-Z talk about? Regardless, I’m throwing one more photo in because I feel like it. Deal with it. 

That’s Miroslava Duma, if you were wondering. Look her up…yes, I mean right now! What did you think I meant? If you speak Russian, I would look up her website Buro 24/7. That is all.

* As an avid menswear fanatic, I highly recommend looking at The Style Blogger’s work including their editorial on Jenilee Thornton. 

** If you follow any blog at all, you should really follow The Sartorialist. He’s basically a fashion blog pioneer and icon.  

Verónica María Arndorfer is a Style Consultant for the Amherst College branch of Her Campus. She is a Political Science major with a concentration in International Relations by day and a fashion, film, and culture enthusiast by night. Having interned for the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Department of State, Nike Communications, Inc. as well as Martens & Heads! Executive Consultancy, she has attempted to bridge the gap between the public and private sector. She will be graduating from Amherst College in May 2014. Verónica aspires to be an influencer in international politics and international business, all with an air of sprezzatura. Still interested in getting to know Verónica? Look for her on LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/in/veronicaarndorfer/) or on her tumblr, Sprezza Pour Tú (http://sprezzapourtu.tumblr.com/).