Winter Trend Report: The Daring Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

At the start of each new season, it is easy to feel discouraged about the clothes currently in your closet, which may be a strong word for what most of us have here at Amherst. Instead of thinking about the clothes I don’t have, I like to put on my thinking cap and transform my warm weather clothes into ones that are appropriate for New England blustery winters. With the leaves just about gone you may just feel resigned to wearing comfortable sweats everyday. This is totally fine, especially with the temperature dropping into the thirties! If you decide to put together an outfit in the morning, there are some easy ways to use the clothes you already have and put together something quite interesting and seemingly carefree. Using some of your summer pieces in warm weather outfits is a great way to turn a regular combination into something more daring.

First things first, look through your clothes and pick out your favorite warmer weather pieces. Decide whether they can be kept out, or if they should be put away until the sun warms the frozen tundra that Amherst becomes until March. If you want to continue wearing them think about ways they can be made into something more winter-friendly. On-trend neutrals can sometimes feel bland, so use something you already have to spice up and brighten your look. If like me, you are a fan of earth tones, there are lots of ways to keep a simple color palate looking fun and upbeat. You can wear an all black–or other neutral color–outfit with some bright sneakers that were popular this summer.

I also am a fan of layering because sometimes it can be super cold in the morning and then warm up as the day continues. Something that is good to try is a sweater and vest together. A down vest is a great way to add some style to a look. You could also use a jean jacket as a warm outer layer and place a thin vest underneath. This is a fun way to be a little bit unconventional with how you pair things. Another way to layer is wearing a lightweight shear button up from the summer under a sweater. Pull the color from under the sweater and place it over the neckline of the sweater if you are a prep! The key to looking daring is not being one hundred percent sure of what you have put together. When you make your morning trek to Val or dreaded 8:30 lab, be confident!

If you aren’t a loud color type, add a fun pattern like a python or hounds-tooth. You can also use a floral shirt from the summer if animal patterns freak you out. A simple piece can go a long way in pulling your look together. It is important to remember that we have many days of winter, so don’t use all your fun pieces at once! Save them for a particularly grey day and it will help to feel better about the cold. Outerwear is another great way to feel daring without taking too much time getting dressed. This winter, fur is present in all levels of style from high fashion editorial magazine spreads to easy and comfortable moccasins. Use a fur-hooded jacket to give your outfit a three dimensional component that is fun and extra warm. I also think it can make your look sassier which is always a win, regardless of the season.

If you do get a chance to do some shopping while procrastinating in frost or at home, look for things that compliment what you already have. This way, you can wear it with lots of items in your closet, rather than having to splurge on a whole new outfit. If you are looking through a magazine and you see a piece that you think you would never wear, such as the mesh top and black bra combo shown in this month’s Harpers Bazaar, try thinking about it with something you already have. This way something that seems wild, can actually be doable and fun while giving your outfit that extra something.

All things considered, winter is a great time layer pieces and feel great about fashion. And don’t sweat it, in worst-case scenario you can just throw on something purple and show some good ol’ Amherst pride!

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C