Valentines Day Activities!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Celebrating Valentine’s Day was super easy in elementary school.  Crush or no crush, your brown paper bag was filled to the brim with goodies by the end of the day.  Valentine’s Day should be just as bliss-free and low-stress as it was in the good old days.  Whether you are single, taken, or crushing, here are some ideas to have a fun and affectionate V-Day:

1.     Indulge on chocolates and candy all day.  And it isn’t a Valentine’s Day without a few boxes of sweethearts.  Also, if you are a Cadbury fan, you better stock up now before the British, a.k.a. the best version, is no longer permitted to be imported into the U.S.  Just head to CVS to stock up, or if you’re feeling fancy, Whole Foods has an excellent supply of chocolate.

2.     Send your significant other, crush, and/or friends candy grams available through CAB in Keefe or make your own valentine like you did in grade school.  Use V-Day as the opportunity to let your crush know you exist, or to simply send love to your friends.  Don’t forget that every student’s AC box number and housing assignment is available in the student directory.  Take advantage…this is the prime opportunity to do some stalking.  If you forget to pick up a little treat, there is a good chance Val will hand out roses in the morning.  You can always re-gift!

3.     Watch a movie about love.  Whether it is a family movie, dramatic love story, or romantic comedy, the list of possibilities is endless.  Check out Netflix and have a marathon.  Maybe consider seeing the first installment (yes, the second two books will be turned into movies too) of the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy, which conveniently comes out this weekend.  Fair warning: make sure you feel comfortable watching it with your movie date(s).  It is playing at the Cinemark at Hampshire Mall at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, and 10:30pm on Saturday.  Tickets can be purchased in advance.  The movie “aims to please.” 

4.     The word on campus is that Professor Sanderson teaches the importance of doing an activity that gets your heart rate up when you are with a love interest.  This causes you to associate an adrenaline rush and giddy feeling with that person.  Consider then a winter activity like sledding down Memorial Hill or attending the hike with the Outing Club.  If it is a clear night, it could be fun to climb the Octagon and star gaze.  Or maybe just hit the gym with or with out a special friend.  It’s always a good idea to get the blood pumping, and if it supplements the love you feel for your friends, that’s even better.

5.     Have dinner with as many or as few people as you care about.  If the idea of daintily eating wings at Val dinner intimates you (wing bar is on the menu), then make a dinner reservation in town (better get on that soon) or plan a potluck.  If you are up to major cooking, be sure to reserve a kitchen in one of the dorms across campus.  Family-style or sharing meals are definitely the way to go in spirit of the holiday.

6.     Enjoy your Saturday night.  Whether that entails staying in and cuddling with another person or your pillow pet, or making an appearance at the Powerhouse (the theme is Love & Mardi Gras), end the day on a high note.  Feel free to throw your own (dance) party or crash a party.  Taylor Swift is a must—1989 is conveniently all about love and relationships. 

7.     Speaking of music, make yourself an epic Valentine’s Day playlist complete with all the classics.

8.     Call or send a card to your loved ones outside Amherst.  Don’t forget about the people who helped you get here.

9.     Wear some sort of red/pink.  Be festive (and mushy)!

10.  Do a little bit of homework so you aren’t overwhelmed when your sugar coma kicks in on Sunday and you are sad that you have to wait a whole year for another Valentine’s Day.

And just remember ladies, Valentine’s Day is a time for love, so love your friends, your crush, the one you’re in a relationship, but most importantly, love yourself! Happy Valentine’s Day!! xx

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C