The Ups and Downs of Not Writing A Thesis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

There are so many articles, Facebook posts, and conversations every day that talk about the struggles of writing a thesis.  I mean WE even wrote a post about it last year! How come no one talks about the  the wave of emotions and anguish of a senior who decides not to write a thesis?  Why does our decision to NOT do something not highlighted to?   As usual, I am here to fill a void.  Here are some of the ups and downs of  NOT writing a thesis in college.

Thinking if you should sign up last minute to write a thesis…

Your friends are making it sound so cool.  All that research and effort being rewarded with a publication

…but then again You also see their stress, the amount of fees they are going to pay in printing and you realize it can’t be worth it. Even if they are going to get an honors degree out of it…

Choosing courses that make you feel smarter

Because obviously people who write a thesis LOVE their field more than anybody else. Spoiler alert: This is not true.  And to prove it to you I am going to take all 400 Level classes. See I’m smart…

Everyone and, I mean EVERYONE, will ask you if you are writing a thesis

And when you say no, they are expecting some profound answer why not. How about “I don’t wanna!”

THE look you receive when you tell people you aren’t going to write a thesis

Why do you look so sad?  Be happy for me, I’m free!  

The way YOU say “No” when someone asks if you are writing a thesis

Okay, maybe I’m a little too happy.

The head nod to a fellow person not writing a thesis Which can either lead to a very comforting conversation or make you wonder if you made a mistake.

On a serious note, I do sometimes wonder whether or not I made a good decision to not write a thesis.  At the end of the day, I knew that I wouldn’t be writing a thesis because I wanted to expand my knowledge, but just for a sticker on my diploma that said I graduated with honors.  I learned early in my college years that doing something, not for the love of that activity, but for the reward of doing it, just wasn’t for me.   I am happy to be taking courses that challenge me and highlight my interests (two of which are at Smith College) while having time during my day to participate in my favorite clubs.  

To my thesis writing friends I salute you, but for the rest of my senior brethren, let’s just sit back and smell the flowers.

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.