Top 5 Places to Go for your Birthday in Pioneer Valley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Wherever your birthday lies on the calendar, happy happy birthday!! 

Having recently turned 19, I found myself wondering what off-campus activities I could do to celebrate my birthday. My friends and I brainstormed lots of ideas, but, sadly, we couldn’t do them all because weekends have become back-to-back homework and study sessions. I wanted to share some of those ideas with you, so that I may celebrate vicariously through you. Grab some of your friends and go out to commemorate your special day! (Most of these are PVTA-able) 

1. Watch a movie at Amherst Cinema 

It’s a small, nice, and local theater where you can enjoy some popular movies and some alternative options. You can check out what they’re playing at http://amherstcinema.org/ . Since it’s right next to GoBerry, behind Oriental Flavors, it’s a walkable trip. 

2. Visit the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Books 

The museum is dedicated to sharing picture books, focusing on children’s books. It will be a nice throwback way to enjoy the start of a new year. (Honestly, don’t you wish we had more picture book reading for classes? Textbooks don’t count.) 

3. Go on a hike

Start your day right with a morning hike in one (or more) of the following: Bare Mountain, Pocumtuck Rock, Mount Tom, Mount Toby, Skinner, The Notch, Mount Sugarloaf, Monument Mountain, Mount Greylock (highest point in MA!) 

4. Spend a day/half day in Look Park near Northampton

During season, you could go on the pedal boats, walk through the zoo, have lunch on one of the pavilions, play on the playground, crash into your friends while bumper boating, or go for a ride on the steamer railroad. 

5. Norwottuck Rail Trail

Experience the New England seasons in the gorgeous bike path just behind our campus. If any of your friends does photography as a hobby, this is the time to bring out the cameras and go for a photoshoot. Trust me, it’s well worth it. 

Now go out and start your nth year off right! 

Bonnie is a sophomore at Amherst College. Even though she studies statistics, she is interested in technology, pediatric medicine, dentistry, education, and public health.  She spends most of her day trying out new things, like eating an ice cream cone while biking or looking for ways to climb onto campus building roofs. "All over the place" would be the best way to describe her.