Super Bowl Commerical Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Despite the athletic importance of the Super Bowl, one of the most significant aspects of the event is what happens during the time between touchdowns. Super Bowl commercials are the most anticipated advertising highlights of the entire year. Brands will pay several million dollars for thirty-second time slots determined to make an impact on the complex variety of audiences in America. From Budweiser’s adorable “Best Buds” commercial to Always’ inspirational “Like a Girl” commercial, the Super Bowl advertisements evoked a wide range of emotions in viewers. While some companies take the opportunity to be funny or totally out there just to be remembered, others will see a Super Bowl ad as a way to genuinely touch the hearts of viewers. In my opinion, the commercial that left the greatest impact on me was the NFL’s advertisement against domestic violence. Over the past year, there have been multiple cases against NFL players in regards to assault against women. Yet, the problem itself is not limited to the NFL. This is an issue that is, unfortunately, too common in our world. After receiving negative backlash for a lack of involvement in cases with its own players, such as Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and Greg Hardy, this organization is finally taking the appropriate stance against domestic violence issues. Their campaign to align themselves with ending domestic violence in our country is exemplified by this commercial.

The NFL’s decision to partner with No More, a coalition against domestic violence, came soon after the release of a video of Ray Rice beating his fiancé. The NFL aired the ad as part of their “penance” for the manner in which the Ray Rice case was handled, showing that the league realized the errors it made in handling previous abuse incidents with its players. However, this needs to be just the first step in the process of change; a single commercial won’t stop the countless cases of domestic violence occurring in households, colleges, and businesses in this country. The first step in creating change is raising awareness of an issue. The NFL accomplished this through this advertisement. In order for the change to gain actual momentum, there needs to be action that follows the initial conversation. I am hopeful that America will open its eyes to how prevalent all forms of violence against women are and understand how much actual change needs to occur.

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C