SSN? Student Support Network?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

No, it doesn’t stand for Social Security Number. 

Maybe you’ve heard it publicized before? Maybe you’ve seen students adorned with the “SSN” purple sweaters? Personally, I have been wanting to go to the trainings for a long time, but have never worked out the details to make it happen. To add to the very little that I know of it, I interviewed a peer about Student Support Network, who requested to stay anonymous. 

If you’re looking for school-official information, here is the website: https://www.amherst.edu/campuslife/health-safety-wellness/counseling/wel…

If you’re interested in getting a student’s perspective on it, keep on reading! If not, scroll through for some hugging gifs. 

Q: Who organizes it?

A: It is held by two staff members. Jessica Gifford is joined by someone from the Counseling Center and sometimes the Office of Student Affairs.

Q: Logistical deets? 

A: I went to training last spring semester. It was 2.5 hours every Friday for three weeks.

Q: Why did you go?

A: I had some friends that I was concerned about in high school and in college, but I didn’t know how to approach them and where to learn the skills from. When I learned that this training would teach me how to better support friends and communicate with others, especially those in crisis, I knew this was what I wanted. 

(Okay, this is now my favorite GIF ever)

Q: Did it meet your expectations? 

A: Yes and no. Yes because I gained exposure to so many resources on campus and learned how to recognize signs and symptoms of mental health issues, like excessive stress, depression, and substance abuse. On the other hand, I found it tricky because I went into training with an expectation to take away a 100% fool-proof formula to helping others. It was completely unrealistic. Everyone’s experiences are unique and there is no way to fit them all into one easy step-by-step approach. 

Q: Who do you recommend it to? 

A: If you have ever wondered how to better connect to others, are interested in addressing mental health on campus, want to find out what services the College offers (but somehow failed to reach you with publicity), then you. I recommend you to get those three training sessions of Student Social Network. In short, everyone. 

Q: Have you noticed effects that SSN has made for the campus? 

A: Again, yes and no. The facilitators of SSN give out these cool sweaters, and there have been more and more popping up on the campus. It’s really great to see that more people are getting the training and really do care about making a change to the mental health issues on campus. However, I’ve also noticed that it is a self-segregating population in that there are some groups of students whom I encourage to go but still haven’t made that step. It’s not too late! 

(Oops! Sorry for featuring Lilo and Stitch again, but this was way too cute!!!)

Q: How has SSN changed you? 

A: I went to the trainings with two other friends, and we left the trainings with a much stronger and more meaningful friendship. The conversations that we had during those three sessions  were so real and talking about personal experiences made us very vulnerable. We trusted each other much more afterwards and our relationship has become closer.

Wow, after talking to them about SSN, I’m even more pumped about going. Now if only I didn’t have class all day long (literally, 10AM-4:30PM back to back)…. Can the trainings be offered at an alternate time? Please? 

Conclusion: I also need to watch Gravity Falls. 

Bonnie is a sophomore at Amherst College. Even though she studies statistics, she is interested in technology, pediatric medicine, dentistry, education, and public health.  She spends most of her day trying out new things, like eating an ice cream cone while biking or looking for ways to climb onto campus building roofs. "All over the place" would be the best way to describe her.